Closes: Friday, February 14, 2020
Target Start Date
Expected Work Hours
Preferred candidates should enjoy working with high school students and have:
o knowledge of career development theory and practice
o the ability to proactively establish, cultivate, and maintain collaborative relationships with colleagues from the college and high schools
o experience planning, organizing, and implementing programs and services
o experience with one of the following areas: industry-related career development work; work-based learning, internships or apprenticeships coordination; career/academic advisor or school counselor
This is a 12-month position within the Instructional Support and Student Services Division and reports to the Director of College Access. The primary purpose of the Career Coach is to assist high school students with determining career goals and identifying community college programs that enable students to achieve these goals. The Career Coach will work at a Wilkes county high school during the public school academic year. During the summer months, the Career Coach will visit area businesses, conduct career workshops and activities, and assist with new student career advising and registration.
• Administer career assessments and provide career advising to students through individual appointments, classroom presentations, and other activities
• Assist students with college planning, including selecting a college program and developing academic plans that includes both high school and college CCP classes
• Determine the needs of area business and industry by maintaining an active membership with the Chamber of Commerce, participating in business and industry committees and events, exploring career websites, and meeting with business and industry representatives
• Coordinate events as well as participate in school sponsored activities that promote career pathways and CCP
• Serve as a member of the public-school community, seeking opportunities to build relationships with students and work collaboratively with principals, teachers, counselors, and administrators
• Work closely with the high school CTE department and Career Development Coordinator to develop opportunities for students to engage in career awareness and exploration
• Collaborate with the WCC Gear Up Coordinator, Director of Career and College Promise, and Director of Recruiting to provide seamless assistance from high school through college.
• Communicate regularly with WCC faculty to understand WCC programs of study, industry specific credentials offered, and career opportunities in the field.
• Participate in Career Coach team meetings and professional development activities; remain current in knowledge of college programs, career opportunities and the education and training required for various careers; earn the Career Development Facilitator certification.
How to Apply
Job Post Contact