Career Navigator, STEP
Asheville-Buncombe Technical Community College
340 Victoria Road
Asheville NC 28801
Closes: Monday, February 20, 2023
Target Start Date
Expected Work Hours
Minimum Requirements (Applicant must meet all of the minimum requirements)
1. Associate’s degree;
2. Experience with workforce development programs;
3. Experience working with community-based organizations, local government, or higher education;
4. One year of full-time or equivalent experience working with the public in a customer service role.
1. Instructional experience with a diverse population.
2. Experience teaching adults in a community college setting.
3. Proficiency in a foreign language such as Spanish, an East Slavic language, and/or American Sign Language.
Job Description Summary
(This position is grant funded)The STEP Career Navigator is responsible for coordinating with HRD staff on offering training opportunities in the STEP Career Lab. Additionally, the position is responsible for assisting in outreach and connecting with diverse populations in our community to identify training opportunities that best serves the student at their educational entry point. The STEP Career Navigator will work with Food and Nutrition Services (FNS) Employment and Training (E&T) participants on selecting a program of interest, creating an educational and employment pathway, and providing them with other supportive services. The STEP Career Navigator will also serve as liaison for the College to ensure effective communication in the interest of student progress and engagement, and will uphold the college’s RISE Initiative. This position will be responsible for managing a caseload of students, tracking student progress, administering intakes and assessments, completing documentation and other necessary duties.
1. Coordinates with HRD staff on training opportunities, provides career coaching and counseling, and assists participants with identifying their educational and career goals.
2. Coordinates with various college departments including Student Services, Financial Aid, Adult Basic Education, and Workforce and Continuing Education to ensure that students are being served and promoting student success.
3. Operates various types of equipment and applications such as scanners, computers, Outlook, NCWorks, SharePoint, etc.
4. Performs clerical tasks such as answering the telephone, preparing documents, responding to emails, making copies, etc.
5. Works collaboratively with Buncombe County Health and Human Services staff on client referrals, client documentation, etc.
6. Devises an employer engagement plan to increase the STEP program’s employer network (i.e., community events, job fairs, hosting events, etc.).
7. Creates and maintains spreadsheets, documents, and other materials, tracking all work completed with FNS E&T participants.
8. Assists FNS E&T participants in their development of a career pathway, educational goals, employment goals, etc.
9. Contributes to the College Vision, Mission, Values, and RISE statement.
10. Supports workforce diversity in all its aspects.
11. Performs other duties as assigned.