- Instructional (Faculty)
Closes: Saturday, December 31, 2022
Target Start Date
Expected Work Hours
- Diploma in a construction related disciplined, such as building construction management, construction technology, or masonry technology; or Associate Degree in General Occupational Technology with demonstrated experience/credit by experience in carpentry or a related construction-focused discipline; or an approved alternate portfolio with the background, experience, and credentials to justify qualifications as approved by the dean and CAO.
- Equivalent combination of education and experience will be considered.
Required knowledge, skills and abilities:
- Knowledge of building construction methods and materials
- Knowledge of woodworking hand tools, power tools, methods, and finishes
- Knowledge of OSHA safety regulations and best practices
- Skills in reading and interpreting blueprints
- Ability to demonstrate , assess, and evaluate building construction methods
- Ability to direct students in either indoor/outdoor lab settings while maintaining supervision of tools and materials
- Teaching experience, especially at the post-secondary level in career/technical discipline.
- Industry-recognized certifications in the building construction field.
At Central Carolina Community College, we create transformative lifelong learning opportunities! We expect all employees to find ways to remove barriers to student success and provide all students a pathway to achievable dreams. Our employees are charged to recognize the challenges we face and to respond to them with empathy, understanding, and a willingness to help.
The Carpentry Instructor (9 month contract) position will be based at the Harnett Correctional Institute in Lillington. Instructor covers basic carpentry terminology and technical aspects of carpentry with emphasis on development of introductory skills. Instructor implements learning strategies appropriate for this course including apprenticeship, cooperative education, and job shadowing. Instructor will prepare students for National Center for Construction Education and Research (NCCER) certification.
This position is eligible for a $5000 hiring bonus to be paid out in three installments.
Special Position Requirements:
- Must pass background check administered by the NC Department of Public Safety (prior to hire)
- Must work in close proximity to medium custody inmates (daily)
- Must abide by all rules and practices administered by HCI custody staff (daily)
- Must wear appropriate Personal Protective Equipment (daily)
- Must complete Prison Rape Elimination Act training (annually)
- Supervision of outdoor lab practice (heat/cold/precipitation)
- Manipulation and hand-transport of heavy, bulky, and dusty materials
Diversity Policy: Central Carolina Community College believes the college experience is greatly enriched through diversity; therefore, the college encourages diversity of thought within the student body and staff. Furthermore, the college seeks to promote awareness of diversity and the respect for all individuals, and the college pledges to adhere to this mission in its relationship with the community.
- Teach 18-28 contact hours per semester.
- Prepare, maintain, and distribute for all scheduled courses current course outlines and syllabi that support accreditation standards as described in the current faculty handbook.
- Prepare for and meet classes as assigned, promptly evaluate student progress within one week and maintain a safe learning environment.
- Demonstrate concern for student retention by employing best practice strategies.
- Serve as student advisor as assigned.
- Recruit for department/curriculum as assigned by the supervisor.
- Assist in development and reporting of the annual program outcomes and assessment using Compliance Assist.
- Assist in maintaining department/curriculum equipment, supplies, and materials, and library and support resources.
- Assist in registration and orientation as requested by the supervisor.
- Participate in scheduled and called departmental, faculty, staff meetings and other College activities.
- Keep supervisor informed of matters pertaining to the curriculum.
- Assume other duties as requested by the supervisor and the College.
- Follow policies stated in the policies and procedures manual as it relates to instructor responsibilities.
- Work the required 35 hours per week and post and hold the required five (5) office hours per week.
- Serve on College committees as assigned.
- Notify supervisor and/or Provost when planning to be off campus during regular working hours.
- Maintain personal contact with business, industry, and/or professional agencies relevant to the specific curriculum.
- Coordinate with Learning Resources staff to assure the availability of up-to-date library books and support materials relevant to the specific curriculum.
- Submit records and forms in a timely fashion as required in the policy and procedures manual.
- Be responsible and perform other such duties as may be assigned.
- Assist in coordination of annual Foundation auction.