Closes: Monday, October 17, 2022
Target Start Date
Expected Work Hours
Education and Experience Required:
- Minimum of 5 years’ experience as an over the road truck driver.
- Minimum of 2 years’ experience teaching for either a private or public truck driver training program.
- Must have the ability to operate manual transmission vehicles for the CDL-A and CDL-B program.
- Current NC-DMV licensed examiner with ability to transfer credentials to VGCC location
The Coordinator of CDL Truck Driver training manages all aspects of the program. The coordinator will assure compliance with all Federal and State requirements of truck driver training. (FMCSA and NC-DMV) The coordinator will teach CDL classes; supervise part time instructors; manage enrollment, orientation and registration of students; manage truck and trailer maintenance; manage diesel card; order needed supplies and materials for the program and manage the range area on main campus. This position will be located on the main campus in Henderson.
This position is assigned to the VGCC Main Campus in Henderson, NC; although, some travel to other counties in the college’s service area could happen. Consistent with VGCC’s Teleworking Policy, this position has the possibility for up to 1 day per week of telework after the first 6 months of employment.
The following listing of essential job duties indicates the general nature and level of work required in this job. This is not designed to be a comprehensive listing of all the activities, duties, or responsibilities that may be required in this job. Individuals assigned to this job may be asked to perform other duties as required. To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential duties and responsibilities of the job.
- Coordinate all aspects of the Truck Driver Training program
- Will initially work with Caldwell CC to set up courses and date ranges for CDL-A
- Will take the lead in becoming an independent truck driving school (from Caldwell CC&TI)
- Re-establish the colleges ability to offer the CDL-B program
- Will manage and coordinate the CDL-B program
- Plan and organize mandatory orientation sessions
- Plan and conduct registration sessions and collect all necessary paperwork (drug screens, backgrounds, diplomas, registrations, CDL permit and License copies)
- Will work directly with the NC-DMV as it relates to all required documentation for licensed examination of students (C-STIMS system)
- Will work with the NC-DMV compliance officer concerning approval of equipment, range, routes and all other compliance requirements for a licensed program
- Will maintain correspondence with the FMCSA (Federal Motor Carriers Safety Administration) and maintain up to date registration of the school and program.
- Will manage student registration records on the FMCSA site to assure compliance as an Entry Level Driver Training (ELDT) registered program.
- Maintain business office compliance with fuel card requirements and monthly close out.
- Ensure materials and supplies needed for the program are consistently available
- Manage truck driving page updates on VGCC website
- Manage phone calls and emails of students interested in the program
- Manage part time instructors for the program as well as their employment contracts
- Work closely with business office as it relates to CDL tuition/fees, grants, truck and trailer maintenance and fuel costs processing
- Work closely with internal and external partners and industries who sponsor students in the program
- Manage all maintenance needs for trucks and trailers
- Consistently plan and coordinate the purchase of additional trucks and trailers to keep the fleet in good working order and have enough equipment for viable CDL-A and CDL-B programs
- Managing invoices for the maintenance on trucks and trailers
- Assure compliance with teaching all required theory standards of the CDL- A and CDL-B programs.
- Teach the theory portion of CDL-A online in moodle.
- Assure books and materials for the course are available for each class.
- Teach and train students in pre-trip inspection, range maneuvers and driving on road.
- Ability to work independently with limited supervision
- Will assume other duties as assigned by the Director of Occupational Extension
- Ability to lift and move at least 30 pounds
- Ability to manage the truck and trailer fleet of the CDL program (coupling and un-coupling trailers) and other required and needed maintenance of the fleet
- Sedentary work that primarily involves sitting/standing.
How to Apply
Job Post Contact