Asheville-Buncombe Technical Community College
Asheville, North Carolina
- Instructional (Faculty)
Closes: Monday, May 30, 2022
Target Start Date
Expected Work Hours
***IMPORTANT NOTE TO APPLICANTS***
When Human Resources receives enough qualified applications, we will move forward regardless of the posted close date (required field), but the position will remain open until filled.
Minimum Requirements (Applicant must meet all of the minimum requirements)
1. Master’s degree in Chemistry or Physics or related degree with 18 graduate semester hours in Chemistry or Physics;
2. Two years of full-time or equivalent teaching experience in higher education;
3. Experience with Learning Management Systems
1. Two years of full-time or equivalent community college administrative experience;
2. Two years of full-time or equivalent community college teaching experience;
3. Experience with Moodle;
4. Proficiency in a foreign language such as Spanish, an East Slavic language, and/or American Sign Language.
Job Description Summary
The Department Chair is responsible for leading and coordinating the activities of the Chemistry & Physics Department.
1. Supports equity in all aspects.
2. Contributes to a safe and secure campus environment.
3. Supports the College’s Mission, Vision, Values, and RISE Statement.
4. Maintains compliance with requirements from SACSCOC, the North Carolina Community College System (NCCCS), and program
accreditors where appropriate.
5. Enforces College policies and procedures.
6. Clearly communicates with all stakeholders.
7. Recruits and hires departmental employees following the guidelines from the Executive Leadership Team and from Human
8. Develops department schedules and makes teaching assignments.
9. Advises students and attends advising training to build advising competence.
10. Assists with onboarding for new departmental faculty and staff.
11. Supports ongoing professional development for all departmental faculty and staff.
12. Participates in the Performance Enhancement Process (PEP) for full-time faculty and evaluates adjuncts.
13. Works with departmental faculty and the Coordinator, Curriculum Compliance to ensure the curriculum remains relevant,
rigorous, and equitable, and that it meets state standards.
14. Identifies and procures appropriate teaching technology.
15. Ensures that all reporting to internal and external agencies is timely and accurate.
16. Oversees Student Learning Outcomes assessment on the department level.
17. Selects and orders textbooks and other course material.
18. Develops and supervises department budgets.
19. Instructs an appropriate course load, serves on campus committees, and advises an appropriate number of students, as
determined by the Dean and the Vice President of Instructional Services.
20. Manages chemistry, physics, and geology laboratory operations with the assistance of a half-time Chemistry Laboratory
21. Manages budget for chemistry, physics, and geology department and laboratory operations.
22. Performs other duties as assigned.