Closes: Thursday, March 31, 2022
Target Start Date
Expected Work Hours
Bachelor's Degree in Computer Science, Engineering or related field, with seven years’ experience in administrative information systems,
Five years of experience in a senior management role in a mid-size to large organization; proven skills in multiple projects management and successful history of planning, implementing and maintaining support systems.
Master's Degree in Computer Science, Engineering or related field; background in higher education leadership and management.
Central Piedmont Community College is currently seeking a Chief Information Officer (CIO) to oversee our Information Technology Services Department located on Central Campus.
Information Technology Services (ITS) is committed to providing the college with the highest possible quality of service through the implementation, advancement, and support of technology. The ITS team is organized into three main functions: technology infrastructure services, client services and enterprise applicants/interoperability to effectively and efficiently serve the college community, including faculty and staff.
The Chief Information Officer (CIO) serves as the principal technology leader for the College providing the vision and leadership for developing and implementing information technology strategies and initiatives college-wide; leads the College's ongoing commitment to support and promote the strategic use of information technology that advances the overall mission of the College; and leads and manages the Information Technology Services division, including academic and administrative computing, networking, support services, classroom and instructional technology, programming services, and telecommunications.
Characteristic Duties and Responsibilities
1. Provides proactive leadership and vision for the development and use of information systems, resources, and technology to further the College’s mission and support the academic, student, and administrative operations of the institution.
2. Supports a client-centric culture which delivers a consistently excellent client experience, where clients are defined as students, parents, patients, faculty, staff, trustees, donors and visitors.
3. Continuously develops the technical, leadership, and communications skills of the ITS staff to ensure a high performing team.
4. Maintain a focus on diversity and inclusion, and a culture where staff feel valued and add value.
5. Ensure IT data security, risk management, disaster recovery and business continuity planning processes are in place and receive regular review for currency and adequacy.
6. Lead the organization’s strategic and tactical planning, organizational management, financial management, and project governance and manage day-to-day IT operations, including network and systems management, end-user support, and business intelligence capabilities (e.g., improved ability to measure key business metrics).
7. Working closely with the Strategy and Organizational Excellence team, supports the College’s initiatives to promote data as an institutional asset.
8. Serves as a connector and collaborator, working with College leadership and key stakeholders across the campus community to leverage technology to advance and support the mission and goals of the different units of the College.
9. Recruits, selects, develops, supervises and evaluates a team of information technology professionals and support personnel who possess and are growing in the personal qualities, technical/professional competence, communication skills, and client service orientation required to excel in support of both educational and operational effectiveness.
10. Engages in ongoing proactive assessments of all current informational systems to evaluate functionality, efficiency, integrity, cost-effectiveness and integration with a view to develop long-term strategic plans for system improvements to (a) ensure continuing growth and improvement in integrating best practice technological advancements that fit the needs and requirements of the institution’s processes, and (b) facilitate acquiring adequate financial, material, and human resources to implement the strategic educational plan.
11. Works with the executive team, and subordinates to develop an annual budget that realistically reflects planning and policy decisions and optimizes access to and reliability of educational technology, IT systems and connectivity/productivity tools. Facilitates procurement and monitor vendor agreements within appropriate protocols. Monitor monthly variance reports to ensure that the department and each of its subordinate departments operate within budget parameters.
12. Works with executive team members, department heads, deans, support staff and appropriate standing committees to develop and implement policies and procedures governing acquisition/procurement, configuration, operational integrity, and security of information technology systems, and connectivity/productivity tools to advance institutional effectiveness.
13. Supervises the development of web components to facilitate the functionality and accessibility of database information to internal and external users. The web modules would include a user interface to database systems that is convenient, intuitive and aesthetic while protecting both the security and the integrity of data.
14. Supervises the maintenance of current information system products such that (a) requests for changes in structure or processes are evaluated for efficiency and effectiveness with a view to implement those requests that best serve the institutional processes, (b) all requests and incidents are prioritized in an equitable and timely manner, (c) incidents are corrected in a timely manner to ensure the least amount of lost time for the user, and (d) faculty, students, administrators and institutional end-users receive clear and prompt communication concerning requests, incidents, service/performance forecasts, non-performance variance reports, and follow-up assessment.
15. Liaison with state and national technology organizations and vendors.
16. Serves on technology related national and local boards, committees and task forces.
Knowledge, Skills, Abilities and Characteristics
- Demonstrable competence in executive leadership with significant business and leadership acumen
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills, interpersonal and collaborative skills, and the ability to communicate information security and risk-related concepts to technical and nontechnical audiences at various hierarchical levels, ranging from senior executives to technical specialists.
- Strategic leader and builder of both vision and bridges, and able to energize the appropriate teams in the organization.
- Up-to-date knowledge of methodologies and trends in both higher education and IT.
- Poise and ability to act calmly and competently in high-pressure, high-stress situations.
- Must be a critical thinker, with strong problem-solving skills Knowledge and understanding of relevant legal and regulatory requirements, such as: Federal Education Rights and Privacy Act (FERPA), Health Insurance Portability and Accountability Act (HIPAA) and Payment Card Industry/Data Security Standard (PCI).
- Excellent analytical skills, the ability to manage multiple projects under strict timelines, as well as the ability to work well in a demanding, dynamic environment and meet overall objectives.
- Project management skills: scheduling and resource management.
- A master of influencing entities and decisions in situations where no formal reporting structures exist, but achieving the desirable outcome is vital.
- Excellent stakeholder management skills.
- High level of personal integrity, as well as the ability to professionally handle confidential matters and show an appropriate level of judgment and maturity.
- High degree of initiative, dependability and ability to work with little supervision while being resilient to change.
- Demonstrated ability to execute quickly and capacity to effectively partner with the president, cabinet, deans, faculty, staff, and students of diverse backgrounds.
How to Apply
Job Post Contact