Closes: Thursday, February 29, 2024
Target Start Date
Expected Work Hours
- An associate’s degree in computer science, information technology, or a related field with approximately three years of relevant work experience with evidence of progression and skills development.
- Experience working with Microsoft Azure, AWS, VMware, and Meraki/Cisco environments.
- Familiarity with cloud security best practices and standards, such as ISO 27001 or NIST.
- Experience with working independently and dealing with unforeseen problems and circumstances.
- Ability to provide a high-quality service responding to clients’ needs within deadlines and to agreed standards.
- Receptive to new ideas and approaches and successfully managing an environment of continuous change.
- A bachelor’s degree in computer science, information technology, or related field with approximately two years of relevant work experience at a senior level.
The Cloud and Infrastructure Administrator will be responsible for a specialist administrative function, system, and process in the Institutional Research & Technology (IRT) division.
The Cloud and Infrastructure Administrator will advise and support service users based on their detailed knowledge and understanding of complex systems, processes, policies, and legislation. They will have a broader appreciation of College and higher education issues and exercise initiative (within established procedures and policies) to resolve issues and problems. Many issues presented to the Cloud and Infrastructure Administrator will be non-standard and complex.
The position will be responsible for planning and prioritizing their work, ensuring that defined targets and deadlines are met. They must manage and maintain Vance Granville Community College's cloud computing resources and assist in supporting on-premise data centers and networking resources. The Cloud and Infrastructure Administrator may be called on to manage small to medium-sized projects.
This position is assigned to the VGCC Main Campus in Henderson, NC, although some travel to other counties in the college’s service area is possible. This position is eligible for up to three (3) days per week of telework, depending on the person’s skill level and experience.
The following listing of essential job duties indicates the general nature and level of work required in this job. This is not designed to be a comprehensive listing of all the activities, duties, or responsibilities that may be required in this job. Individuals assigned to this job may be asked to perform other duties as required. To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential duties and responsibilities of the job.
- Design, configure, and deploy cloud-based services and applications. This role will assist the Office of Information Technology (OIT) leadership with selecting appropriate cloud services (IaaS, PaaS, or SaaS) based on the organization's needs.
- Monitor and optimize cloud and on-premise infrastructure performance, availability, and security using various tools and metrics. Identify and resolve any issues or bottlenecks that may affect infrastructure performance, availability, or security to enhance the reliability and availability of services while reducing cost.
- Implement backup and disaster recovery strategies for cloud data and on-premise systems, ensuring that data is secure and accessible during a failure, outage, or security event. Ensure compliance with relevant regulations and policies regarding data protection and retention.
- Stay current with the latest trends, technologies, and best practices in cloud computing and infrastructure management. This involves researching and learning about new developments and innovations, including new features, platforms, services, and tools.
- Manage and support all network infrastructure and connections between service providers and clients. This includes assisting the Director of Information Technology in designing the network topology and architecture, routers, switches, and firewalls. Troubleshoot and resolve any network issues or problems affecting the infrastructure or users, such as congestion, latency, and connectivity.
- Assist with managing cloud service providers, vendors, and contracts. This involves reviewing the contracts and service level agreements (SLAs) with service providers and vendors to ensure they meet the organization’s expectations and needs.
- Assist with the supervision and operation of IT security measures to facilitate the integrity of the VGCC computing environment.
- Support outreach, awareness, marketing, and collaboration by participating on assigned College committees in local, state, and professional organizations and representing the College at professional conferences and workshops.
- Perform other duties as assigned by the Director of Information Technology
- Communicate both written and verbally in a clear, concise manner.
- Must consider the audience of the communication and frame the message in such a way as to promote understanding.
- May be called on to write reports to internal and external stakeholders.
- Communicate complex concepts and deliver briefings in their areas of expertise.
- Develop presentations and make business cases for senior college leadership.
- Proactively communicate with internal and external contacts to disseminate essential information and develop relationships to facilitate future exchange of information.
- May be required to attend committees/meetings to share information and keep others informed.
- Provide a range of specialist support tasks/activities within established procedures to maximize service quality and efficiency.
- While reactive, the position will be expected to initiate contact with ITS customers to explore their needs and adapt services to meet their unique requirements.
- Monitor, review, and improve operational delivery of assigned work areas in consultation with other IRT leadership roles by recommending and implementing changes to work practices, systems, and procedures.
- Handle a range of standard and non-standard problems, mainly without reference to others.
- Solutions to problems are not always apparent and require initiative, creativity, and a detailed understanding of procedures and processes to identify a solution.
- Act as a filter for problems and issues addressed to the Manager, aiming to resolve them where possible and escalating where appropriate.
- Make timely, independent, and collaborative decisions based on detailed knowledge of systems that will affect your area of work and the IRT division.
- Some decisions made or contributed to may have a broader impact across the College.
- May be required to provide specific advice, guidance, and recommendations to others.
- Regularly required to gather, analyze, and interpret information; report and present findings; research information from multiple sources; investigate problems/faults/anomalies; and be responsible for the records and information systems within their assigned area.
- May also be involved in more complex investigations where conclusions and recommendations will be sought based on trends and patterns in the data provided.
- Will actively participate in the team, cooperating and working with others to meet specified objectives and timelines.
- Provide assistance and support to other less experienced colleagues when required.
- May be specified as the primary point-of-contact for a process, system, or procedure as the most experienced team member.
- Plan, organize, and prioritize their work, ensuring that requirements and objectives have been met.
- Implement long-term plans and programs into daily work.
- Manage resources allocated for projects within the department; make recommendations about future resource requirements.
- Play a key role or lead small-scale department projects to facilitate service or operational changes.
- Provide input and guidance to the long-term strategic plans of the IRT division.
- Be able to lift 50 lbs. and climb a ladder.
How to Apply
Job Post Contact