Main Campus - Smithfield, North Carolina
- Instructional (Faculty)
Closes: Monday, January 22, 2018
Target Start Date
Expected Work Hours
To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily. The requirements listed below are representative of the knowledge, skill, and/or ability required. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
Bachelor's degree from an accredited institution.
One year of experience teaching or tutoring experience in a post-secondary environment.
Preferred: Two or more years of teaching or tutoring experience in a post-secondary environment, preferably at a community college.
Specific experience with online instruction and educational technology is preferred.
Must be able to teach community college students from various backgrounds, cultures, ages and experience levels. The purpose of the position is to provide a comprehensive educational instructional program committed to quality teaching and successful student achievement. Employees in this classification perform instructional work with classes in Transfer Student Success and related subjects
Knowledge & Responsibilities:
Essential Duties and Responsibilities
- Prepares lesson plans; writes and follows course overviews and outlines.
- Uses teaching methods designed for a variety of learning styles.
- Create an effective learning environment.
- Meet classes as assigned.
- Present instruction based on the competencies and performance levels of the course.
- Use course text, outlines, syllabi and other curriculum materials in accordance with college and departmental guidelines.
- Maintains accurate attendance and scholastic records of students.
- Monitors academic progress of students and makes appropriate referrals when needed or required.
- Assist with maintaining a classroom environment emphasizing safety, good housekeeping, and equipment security.
- Participate in communications with the college and department and meet deadlines as required.
- Submit required reports.
- Maintain a high level of professionalism as a representative of the college.
Specific Function includes the following. Other functions may be assigned.
- Ability to demonstrate competence in areas expected to teach.
- Ability to communicate effectively with adult learners and to maintain good relationships with faculty, staff and students
This job has supervisory responsibilities
Requires effective written and verbal communication skills.
Requires the ability to perform basic math computations including adding, subtracting, multiplying and averaging all units of measure. Also requires the ability to compute fractions, percents and decimals.
Requires the ability to use effective critical thinking, problem solving and decision making skills.
A knowledge of Windows environment, email systems, powerpoint, Blackboard and online lab environments.
The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
The work environment characteristics described here are representative of those an employee encounters while performing the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
How to Apply
Job Post Contact