Main Campus - Smithfield, North Carolina
- Instructional (Faculty)
Closes: Sunday, September 30, 2018
Target Start Date
Expected Work Hours
To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each specific duty satisfactorily. The requirements listed below are representative of the knowledge, skill, and/or ability required. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the specific functions.
• Ability to demonstrate competence in areas expected to teach
• Ability to plan, organize and deploy quality college level instruction
• Ability to communicate effectively with adult learners and to maintain good relationships with staff and students.
• Ability to exercise sound judgment, individual initiative, independent actions within a professional environment
Master's degree required in a computer related field such as Instructional Technology, Information Systems or Computer Science or Master's degree plus 18 graduate hours in a computer related field as noted above.
One year teaching experience. Online teaching experience
Master's Degree required in a computer related field such as Instructional Technology, Information Systems or Computer Science or Master's degree plus 18 graduate hours in a computer related field as noted above. Appropriate professional certifications in Information Technology areas such as Microsoft.
Two to three years of teaching experience in a post-secondary environment, preferably at a community college. Specific experience with Blackboard Learn 9.1 online instruction and educational technology is preferred. Experience working with the diverse academic, socio-economic, cultural, disability, and ethnic backgrounds of students.
Adjunct faculty are professionals with the responsibility of providing a quality learning experience for Johnston Community College students on a semester basis. Adjunct faculty report to a dean and/or director and perform instruction-related duties and responsibilities in a timely manner and in accordance with the mission, policies and procedures of the college. The categories listed below constitute the expectations for the adjunct faculty member. These responsibilities will be assessed utilizing student evaluations and classroom observations by the supervisor.
Knowledge & Responsibilities:
Essential Duties and Responsibilities:
Provide instruction centered on Information Technology concepts and Microsoft Office 2016 applications to include Word, Excel, Access and Power Point. Teach assigned class(es) in coordination with your Dean and/or Director of Programs and established course model syllabus/syllabi. Provide a high quality learning and teaching environment for students in accordance with the educational objectives of the college.
Specific responsibilities of adjunct curriculum instructors include:
• Teach assigned classes
• Create an effective learning environment
• Meet classes as assigned
• Present instruction based on the competencies and performance levels of the course
• Maintain accurate attendance and scholastic records of students
• Use teaching methods designed for a variety of learning styles
• Use course text, outlines, syllabi and other curriculum materials in accordance with college and departmental guidelines
• Assist with maintaining a classroom environment emphasizing safety, good housekeeping, and equipment security
• Participate in communications with the college and department and meet deadlines as required
• Submit required reports
• Participate in the college's assessment process, if required
• Fulfill all contract provisions
• Maintain a high level of professionalism as a representative of the college
• Effective written and verbal communication skills are required.
• Ability to perform basic math computations including adding, subtracting, multiplying and averaging all units of measure.
• Ability to compute fractions, percents and decimals.
• Ability to use effective critical thinking, problem solving and decision making skills.
To perform this job successfully an individual should be proficient in Microsoft Windows 7 & 8 environments, the information processing cycle, networks and the Internet, and have teaching level knowledge of Microsoft Office 2016 applications to include Word, Excel, Access and PowerPoint. Candidate must also have Blackboard Learn 8.0 or greater experience in an online teaching environment.
The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
The work environment characteristics described here are representative of those an employee encounters while performing the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
How to Apply
Job Post Contact