200 W. Jones Street, Raleigh, NC 27603
Closes: Monday, September 27, 2021
Target Start Date
Expected Work Hours
Bachelor’s degree in communications, marketing, public relations, public affairs, journalism, English, or related field from an appropriately accredited institution; or an equivalent combination of education and experience. Minimum of five years of marketing or communications experience.
~2 YEAR TIME-LIMITED GRANT FUNDED POSITION~
~THIS POSITION IS EXEMPT FROM THE STATE HUMAN RESOURCES ACT (EPA) per GS 115D-3~
The Communications Specialist will support strategic work to create awareness about North Carolina’s “Great 58” community Colleges. The position is responsible for finding effective and impactful ways to broaden the system’s statewide outreach by producing plans, an editorial calendar, and content. The position will be responsible for developing original content for various communications platforms and channels, including, social media, video, websites, and podcasts, as well as writing news advisories and releases and other trade and news media material. The Information Communications Specialist I will determine target audiences and use digital methods to convey important information about community colleges. The Communications Specialist I is responsible for helping to manage brand reputation through digital content, reaching key audiences such as students, parents, university partners, workforce advocates, political leaders, the business community, and the general public. The position will play a role in coordinating high-profile events, supporting outreach efforts, updating the system’s website (www.nccommunitycolleges.edu), as well as managing System Office social media channels. Besides System Office duties, the position will be an adviser to community college marketing communications offices, particularly at smaller colleges that do not have a robust social media presence. The position may involve travel to colleges to consult with communications personnel on best practices and marketing/communications strategy. The Communications Specialist I may at times work directly on social media content for individual community colleges, particularly around special events or crises. The position will report to the Executive Director of Communications of the N.C. Community College System Office.
- Experience with social media platforms including Facebook, Twitter, Instagram, Snapchat, LinkedIn, YouTube, and other emerging channels; developing targeted messages to engage audiences; grow outreach; monitor performance
- Strong writer with proven experience in writing content for websites, newsletters, and media material
- Strong interpersonal skills that promote collaboration and productivity;
- Excellent oral and written communication skills that convey effective messages – strong writing essential;
- Ability to establish and maintain relationships with external and internal audiences;
- Knowledge of search engine optimization and other metrics;
- Ability to meet tight deadlines and respond appropriately to time-sensitive issues;
- Must be able to manage multiple projects and prioritize workload, with strong organizational skills;
- Knowledge of Associated Press style;
- Must be able to work in a team environment, yet independently produce all content and deliverables;
- Videography and photography skills, including basic video editing and producing podcasts a plus
- Experience in publishing web content preferred
- Minimum of intermediate experience in Adobe Creative Suite / Cloud
- Knowledge of an online newsletter / news release development and distribution tool such as Constant Contact preferred.
- Practical knowledge of project management principles preferred (certification not required)
PREFERENCES: Experience with higher education a plus
How to Apply
The North Carolina Community College System Office uses the Merit-Based Recruitment and Selection Plan to fill positions SUBJECT to the Office of State Human Resources Act (OSHR) with highly qualified individuals.
Individuals interested in applying for this position must complete the online process at https://www.nc.gov/jobs, Résumés will not be accepted in lieu of the application. Work history and credentials must appear on the application to receive consideration during the selection process.
Job Post Contact
APRIL TIBBS, RECRUITMENT ADMINISTRATOR
North Carolina Community College System
Human Resources | Caswell Building
5001 Mail Service Center | Raleigh, NC 27699-5001
Phone: (919) 807-7177 | Fax: (919) 807-7222