Main Campus - Smithfield, North Carolina
Closes: Monday, January 22, 2018
Target Start Date
Expected Work Hours
Associate's Degree in a related field
This job requires no minimum experience.
To provide positive, enriching, and inspiring academic support and encouragement to students beyond the classroom experience through individual and/or group tutoring
Knowledge & Responsibilities:
Essential Duties and Responsibilities include the following. Other duties may be assigned.
Though each discipline has specific tutoring needs, some basic principles apply to all:
- Meet with students individually or in group sessions either through scheduled or nonscheduled appointments
- Assess a student's strengths and weaknesses under guidance from the Academic Enrichment Services Director
- Recognize success and identify ways to improve
- Require students to participate actively in sessions within the guidelines, policies, and procedures endorsed by Johnston Community College
- Explain, model, and offer academic assistance related to the subject or assignment
- Offer suggestions for more effective studying for or preparing assignments for the course
- Use resources available through the Academic Skills Center and online tutoring
- Complete all required forms and documentation on time and by deadlines
- Follow up with tutees in a timely manner
- Communicate with the Academic Enrichment Services Director regarding issues, concerns, and suggestions
- Attend training sessions and meetings
- Arrive for appointments and scheduled hours on time and as scheduled. If unable to work, the tutor should notify the student and supervisor ahead of time or as soon as possible after the related absence
- Maintain confidentiality of all involved in the tutoring experience
- Perform and maintain focused tutoring responsibilities in an active, highly productive workplace environment that meets the needs of diverse students, faculty, and staff
- Other duties as necessary for effective tutoring
This job has no supervisory responsibilities.
To perform this job successfully, an individual should have attained advanced/intermediate proficiency in the use of Microsoft Office Suite
- Ability to read and interpret any pertinent course materials such as syllabi, course/homework instructions or any educational information that will assist in the student's learning experience.
- Ability to write daily reports and email correspondence.
- Ability to speak effectively with students or employees of organization.
- Ability to apply common sense understanding to carry out instructions furnished in written, oral, or diagram form and be able to explain/interpret to students.
- Ability to deal with problems involving several concrete variables in standardized situations.
Certificates, Licenses, Registrations
The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to perform successfully the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
While performing the duties of this job, the employee is regularly required to sit and use hands and fingers. The employee is frequently required to talk and hear and is occasionally required to stand, walk and reach with hands and arms. The employee must occasionally lift and/or move up to 10 pounds. Specific vision abilities required by this job include close vision and ability to adjust focus.
Work Environment The work environment characteristics described here are representative of those an employee encounters while performing the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
How to Apply
Job Post Contact