Closes: Monday, April 12, 2021
Target Start Date
Expected Work Hours
- A Bachelor’s Degree in Accounting, Business, Finance, Mathematics or related field
- Five years of experience in a related field preferred
- The equivalent combination of education and related work experience may be considered
- Demonstrated knowledge of Governmental GAAP and GASB Standards
- The ability to schedule and organize workflow is required
- Strong problem solving, analytical and leadership skills required
- Ability to maintain poise under pressure and to work efficiently without supervision in a rapidly changing environment with frequent interruptions
- Proficient in the use of Excel and Word to produce accurate, professional documents
- Ability to use tact, energy, and resourcefulness in dealing with a variety of situations and people
- Ability to work after hours
- An understanding of, and commitment to the role of the College
- Knowledge of the Federal Student Aid Regulations
- Knowledge of the community college system student accounts receivable
- Five years’ experience in community college setting
- Proficiency in the use of Colleague
- Masters in Accounting, Business, Finance or related field
- CPA Certification in North Carolina
The controller oversees and maintains the college’s accounting system, including recording transactions, reporting financial data, , and participating in a variety of committees that require significant financial expertise. This position is also responsible for the system of internal controls and compliances with rules and regulations, including participating in the annual audit and other fiscal and compliance reviews. The controller is expected to provide analysis for the college’s budgets and support the annual budget process by organizing and compiling regular and special budget reports. Plans, manages and directs the activities related to financial reporting. The controller provides highly responsible and administrative support to the vice president for finance and administration.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
- The following duties are normal for this position. The omission of specific statements of the duties does not exclude them from the classification if the work is similar, related, or a logical assignment for this classification. Other duties may be required and assigned.
- Maintains a system of financial accounting, auditing, reporting, and record keeping in accordance with policies and procedures set forth by the North Carolina Community College System, Governmental Accounting Standards Board (GASB), and National Association of Colleges and Universities.
- Prepares or approves financial statements and reports for the president, board of trustees, deans, department heads, managers, staff, the State Community College System, and grant agencies.
- Maintains monthly cash reconciliation and submits required reports to the State Community College System for cash allotments.
- Oversees the system of internal controls; develops policies and procedures for recording and authorizing transactions; monitors compliance with policies and procedures; assigns duties to maximize efficiency and internal controls; monitors asset listing and protects assets.
- Plans and implements cross training and professional development of business office employees and coordinates financial related training for college employees.
- Provides training and guidance on use of accounting system to college departments.
- Assures that customer service from the business office staff is of the highest quality.
- Supervises and evaluates business office personnel responsible for cash receipts, accounts receivable, accounts payable, payroll, and contract and grant accounting and compliance.
- Acts as liaison to the state auditors, state controller, and various external customers.
- Monitors state, county, and institutional fund budgets.
- Reviews all budget submissions to ensure expenditures are in accordance with state, county, federal, and institutional guidelines.
- Provides support to administration and budget managers in evaluating and administering their departmental budgets.
- Develops, directs, and oversees the business office work plan, operational procedures, and guidelines.
- Develops and evaluates departmental goals and objectives.
- Updates knowledge and skills through continuous training.
- Consistently analyze financial data and present financial reports in an accurate timely manner.
- Work closely with the president, vice presidents, deans, department heads, and their respective staffs.
- Serve as member of the business office team.
- Assume a leadership role in the budgeting process and the preparation of the annual CAFR financial statement process.
- Research, develop, implement, write documentation for and train on new processes and systems.
- Financial reporting as required by the North Carolina Community College System and other agencies including preparation of the annual CAFR financial statements and notes and closing year in colleague.
- Serve as the primary liaison with audit team during audit.
- Performs other duties as assigned.
- Apply the budget code system knowledge to daily workflow.
- Participate in the budgeting process and monthly reporting.
- Hold a monthly budget managers meeting to update managers on budgets and information pertaining to college budget.
- Approve/assist with the daily bank deposits as needed.
- Create complex Excel spreadsheets to analyze data.
- Articulate understandable information, instructions and directions orally and in written form to individuals and groups both internal and external to the college.
- Maintain a professional and positive relationship with students, faculty, staff, and outside constituents.
- Maintain an environmentally safe and professional work area.
- Serve on institution and system committees as requested.
- Monitor the cash balance of the state, county, and institutional funds to ensure funds are available.
- Provide excellent customer service to external agencies and fellow faculty and staff including assisting students with financial situations.
- Maintain personnel leave records for staff and staff scheduling.