Closes: Monday, February 26, 2024
Target Start Date
Expected Work Hours
- Bachelor’s degree from a regionally accredited college or university with major course work in accounting, finance, business administration, or related field, and 3 to 5 years of increasingly responsible experience performing governmental accounting work.
- Highly proficient in Microsoft Office including Excel and Word.
- 3-5 years experience working in the NC Community College System.
- Certified Public Accountant (CPA) designation is desirable, but not required.
- Extensive knowledge in GAAP, GASB, cash and accrual-based accounting, and financial statement preparation.
- Previous experience with using Datatel (Colleague) software program.
Under minimal supervision, an employee in this position has oversight and responsibility for planning, developing, managing and continuously improving the financial operations and activities of the College and the Foundation as supported by the Business Office. Duties related to this position primarily focus on maintaining and directing activities related to financial reporting, general ledger systems, internal controls, and auditing procedures in accordance with general accepted accounting principles and applicable state and federal rules and regulations. Duties may vary according to the specific needs of the Division and/or allocation of workload. This position reports to the Vice President of Finance and Operations.
This position is assigned to the VGCC Main Campus in Henderson, NC; although, some travel to other counties in the college’s service area is possible. This position is eligible for up to of one (1) days per week of telework, depending on the person’s skill level and experience.
The following listing of essential job duties indicates the general nature and level of work required in this job. This is not designed to be a comprehensive listing of all the activities, duties, or responsibilities that may be required in this job. Individuals assigned to this job may be asked to perform other duties as required. To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential duties and responsibilities of the job.
- Oversees and manages the Business Office, including two (2) Senior Accountants as direct reports, and student accounts and receivables, accounts payable, payroll, and grants accounting personnel reporting through the Senior Accountants.
- Manages the operation and maintenance of the general ledger system with responsibility in preparing complex journal entries and reviewing the integrity of the general ledger data in accordance to Generally Accepted Accounting Principles (GAAP) and Government Accounting Standards Board (GASB).
- Reviews and approves all journal entries, voucher registers, etc. to ensure accurate posting to the general ledger.
- Works in conjunction with the Vice President of Finance and Operations to prepare and monitor the annual budget, including initial budget build, budget journal entries, budget review and management, and preparation of budget reports to the Board of Trustees.
- Prepares and/or reviews all internal and external financial reports, as well as providing analytical support for all financial reporting issues, including the preparation and submission of the annual IPEDS report, SACS Financial Profiles, and providing assistance to Financial Aid in the preparation of the annual FISAP report.
- Prepares the College and Foundation Annual Financial Statements, Annual Comprehensive Financial Report (ACFR), Single Audit Reporting Package (SARP), and year-end closeout in accordance with guidelines established by the NC Community College System, Office of the State Controller, and Office of the State Auditor.
- Reviews and approves monthly bank statement reconciliations, and monitors daily cash balances in the state disbursing, county, and institutional bank accounts.
- Serves as an informational resource to staff providing technical assistance, researching and analyzing specific problems relating to financial records, and implementing staff training programs as needed.
- Sets and monitors internal controls in accordance with the EAGLE program through annual identification and assessment of risk.
- Serves as the liaison and coordinator of audit activities with state auditors and the Foundation auditor in the completion of the annual fiscal year audit.
- Collaborates with the Senior Accountant in the monthly transmittal of the 112 reporting, including determining cash needs and reconciliation.
- Conducts Positive Pay verification of State, Institutional, and County checks.
- Reviews and accounts for equipment and inventory, including fixed asset acquisition, depreciation, and disposal.
- Assists the Vice President of Finance and Operations with treasury duties for the Vance-Granville Community College Foundation.
- Performs other duties as assigned, including projects and committee work.
- Light work that includes moving objects up to 30 pounds.
- Sedentary work that primarily involves sitting/standing.
How to Apply
Job Post Contact