Asheville-Buncombe Technical Community College
Asheville, North Carolina
Closes: Tuesday, June 22, 2021
Target Start Date
Expected Work Hours
Minimum Requirements (Applicant must meet all of the minimum requirements)
1. Must have a minimum of a Master’s degree in Education, Adult Education, Teaching English to Speakers of Other Languages, or related field;
2. Must have a minimum of two years of full-time or equivalent experience working with English language learners, international students, or recent immigrants to the U.S.A.;
3 Must have a minimum of Two years of full-time or equivalent supervisory or management experience;
4. Must have a minimum of two years of full-time or equivalent experience in Literacy, Basic Skills, Developmental Education, Workforce Training, Family Literacy, WIOA Funded Programs, or closely related organizations;
5. Must have experience in managing a budget;
6. Proficiency in a foreign language such as Spanish, an East Slavic language, and/or American Sign Language.
1. Experience with marketing or recruiting and website management;
2. Experience working within the NCCCS System;
3. Experience with supervision of both adjunct and full-time staff over 5+ years;
4. Experience with curriculum development for adult learners;
5. Experience managing an ELA Program and/or Student Services Center.
Job Description Summary
Contributes to the success of Transitional Studies by coordinating advising resources, new student orientations, and English Language Acquisition (ELA) courses. Develops, implements, and manages quality instruction across all areas of English Language Acquisition, facilitating students’ academic progress and entry into secondary or postsecondary education, training, or employment. Hires and supervises Specialists, greeters, and adjunct faculty for ELA Program. Collaborates with other Coordinators and Director to contribute to the overall effectiveness of the program.
1. Studies the efficacy of current instructional programs and determines the nature of changes needed; implements changes as needed to improve student success as measured by the number of students reaching their educational goals.
2. Hires instructional staff as needed to provide a full spectrum of instructional classes across the ELA Program and Advising Center.
3. Evaluates all faculty and staff under his/her supervision in accordance with policies and procedures of the college and provides feedback to faculty and specialists on job performance on an ongoing basis.
4. Schedules classes and coordinates the preparation of faculty contracts, processes timesheets, and implements instructional classes across the ELA Program within the budgetary guidelines provided by the Director. Maintains open communication with the Director and other coordinators of emerging needs.
5. Participates in maintaining up-to-date department records of student information and coordinates this activity among all faculty and staff under his/her supervision. Makes recommendations to strengthen the veracity and accessibility of information needed to best serve Transitional Studies students.
6. Prepares purchasing recommendations and coordinates expenditures for all instructional materials, software, and supplies for ELA Program and shares with Director, Transitional Studies; Maintains up-to-date budget spreadsheets tracking instructional salary costs and assists Director with preparing budget projections as needed.
7. Researches, develops, and implements career/educational pathways for Transitional Studies students in collaboration with the Director.
8. Interacts with community and site partners in conjunction with Coordinators to support faculty, market, and recruit potential students. Greet and guide walk-in students to appropriate staff or location when needed.
9. Assists the Director of Transitional Studies with grant writing and reporting.
10. Contributes to the College Vision, Mission, Values, and Welcoming College statement.
11. Supports workforce diversity in all its aspects.
12. Contributes to a safe and secure campus environment.
13. Performs other duties as assigned.