VGCC Main Campus
Henderson, NC 27536
Closes: Friday, August 17, 2018
Target Start Date
Expected Work Hours
Bachelor’s Degree from a regionally accredited college or university is required.
Applicant must have at least three years teaching experience in a correctional setting.
At least 1 year of supervising educational programs within a correctional setting and/or for an agency that serves the ex-offender population is required.
Candidate must be able to pass security clearances for state and federal institutions
A Master’s Degree or enrollment in a Master’s Degree program is preferred.
1. Develops and maintains a professional working relationship with all prison, probation and parole officials to ensure adequate participation in classes and that classroom environments are conducive to learning.
2. Supervises the overall Prison Programs Department, which includes job and employee performance as well as the development and delivery of educational programs.
3. Provides direct supervision and evaluation of prison faculty (full-time and part-time) for continuing education, self-support, and adult education programs to ensure all subordinates receive adequate direction, guidance, and supervision.
4. Conducts audits and evaluates at least 50% of classes offered within the program and brings instructional issues to the attention of the Dean of Continuing Education.
5. Builds sections in Datatel for continuing education and self-support courses offered at all locations where classes are provided. Develops contracts and ensures documentation is submitted to budget office for payment of contract(s).
6. Assists with the recruitment of faculty and serves on the interview panel for potential instructors for continuing education, self-support, and adult education instructor vacancies.
7. Conducts reference checks and coordinates orientation and security clearances for potential faculty to be hired to teach at all correctional facilities. Oversees drug screening required of all instructors who are assigned to teach at the federal facilities, on a yearly basis.
8. Attends meetings and provides input regarding the Prison Programs Department.
9. Conducts faculty meetings as needed to update and provide training to faculty relating to VGCC and/or institutional procedures to ensure staff is fully aware of VGCC’s expectations in performing their duties as an instructor in a prison setting and/or with the ex-offender population.
10. Oversees the registration of students for continuing education, adult education and self-support courses.
11. Assists the Dean of Continuing Education in working with prison, probation and parole officials to determine course/program needs and initiate the process for creating courses or implementing new programs in the areas of curriculum and continuing education.
12. Maintains contact with staff to ensure all materials and textbooks are readily available to conduct classes. Contacts prison officials to discuss textbook or material needs for classes.
13. Oversees the completion of class rosters, grade sheets and certificates. Reviews data to ensure information is accurate and submitted in a timely manner. Serves as a point of contact for instructors to discuss discrepancies with students enrolled in VGCC classes.
14. Develops a schedule for offering continuing education, adult education and self-support courses. Assigns instructors based on schedule.
15. Develops the budget for the Prison Programs Department.
16. Develops the goals and objectives for the Prison Programs Department.
17. Performs other duties as assigned by the Dean of Continuing Education.
How to Apply
Job Post Contact
Vance-Granville Community College
Human Resources Department
252-492-2061 Ext. 3440