Working at campus locations in Union and Anson County
Closes: Saturday, August 14, 2021
Target Start Date
Expected Work Hours
• Master’s Degree in counseling or related counseling field
· Previous customer service experience.
· Effective written and oral communication skills.
· Previous experience working with students in higher education.
· Previous community college experience.
· Previous experience working in Student Affairs/Student Services/Support Services.
· Previous experience with disability services.
· Proven ability to deal effectively, cooperatively, and tactfully with faculty, staff, administrators, and students.
The Counselor is a full-time, 12-month non-clinical position working at campus locations in Union and Anson County. Under the direction of the Director of Counseling, the Counselor supports college retention efforts by providing academic, personal, disability, and career counseling to the student population. The Counselor collaborates with faculty and staff to identify resources for students and provide quality support services. This position must be available to work day and evening hours as well as occasional weekends.
· Provide academic, career, and personal counseling to a diverse community college student population and refer appropriately to internal and external resources. Maintain the confidential nature of such contacts.
· Promote and participate in retention activities and efforts including but not limited to managing early alerts, ADA compliance, and implementing best practices in counseling.
· Ability to work independently and collaboratively with minimal guidance.
· Participate in special projects and initiatives such as grade appeal teams and assigning academic standing.
· Remain knowledgeable in the SPCC curriculum and continuing education programs, admissions standards, testing standards, financial aid services, etc.
· Provide student development workshops on various topics to support student success.
· Work variable schedule if needed, including evenings and/or weekends.
· Participate in SPCC teams as requested.
· Assist in planning, development, implementation, and evaluation of planning goals and objectives for Student Services in conjunction with the SPCC strategic plan.
· Perform other duties as assigned.