Location: RCC service area.
Closes: Friday, July 5, 2019
Target Start Date
Expected Work Hours
Master’s degree in counseling or student development required.Testing and career development experience or coursework in research and career development required. Must be able to work as an effective member of the Student Services team.
Experience in a college student services setting preferred. National Board Certification or NC Licensed Professional Counselor certification preferred.
General Description: The Counselor, under the authority of the Vice President for Student Services, provides comprehensive academic, personal, and career counseling to students from diverse backgrounds. The counselor is responsible for helping students develop a career plan and assisting students with accessing available resources.
Essential Duties of the Position:
- Discuss with potential students their educational goals and career plans
- Guide perspective students through the admissions process, which includes receiving applications, transcripts (if given), placement test administration and interpretation, reviewing curriculum offerings, and providing essential information concerning the college’s admissions policies.
- Provide personal and social counseling to students requesting such assistance and initiate referrals to other professionals and agencies when appropriate.
- Determine which placement test, if any, students may require upon re-admission.
- Conduct initial review of transcripts
- Complete Admissions Counseling Reports and other reports as requested.
- Advise students (in absence of their advisor) on matters related to their academic success
- Utilize RichmondCC advising software to document each student interaction
- Instruct students in use of Self-Service and other college resources
- Work to resolve student issues, facilitating detailed or technical support from internal and external resources.
- Work as a co-advisor with the Student Government Association (SGA).
- Must be knowledgeable about curriculum programs and requirements, and transfer opportunities.
- Attend professional development activities as requested/approved/required by the Vice President for Student Services
- Participate in registration, orientation, drop/add and scheduling activities as needed.
- Must have a basic knowledge of financial aid and scholarship opportunities for students
- Teach ACA 122 College Transfer Success classes, if needed.
- Other duties. (Willingness to accept and fulfill additional assignments.)
How to Apply
Application Process: To apply for a vacant position, complete the Richmond Community College application and submit it with unofficial copies of your College transcripts. For positions where a high school diploma or equivalent is the highest required degree, then proof of high school/equivalency is required. Application and review process can be found on the RCC website. No action will be taken on submission of a resume or letter of interest only. Incomplete files will not be considered.
Methods to submit an application:
- Online submission at http://richmondcc.edu/contact-us/employment
- Mail: RCC, Attn: Human Resources, PO Box 1189, Hamlet, NC 28345.
- Fax: 910-582-7028.Applicant needs to ensure that documents are readable.
Position Available: June 17, 2019. Application review begins: June 20, 2019, open until filled. To apply: submit the RCC Application and unofficial copies of college transcripts. Incomplete packets will not be considered. Successful applicant must pass a complete background check