Flat Rock, NC
Closes: Saturday, July 9, 2022
Target Start Date
Expected Work Hours
The Counselor is a member of the Student Services Counseling/Admissions Team. The Counselor provides pre-enrollment counseling, admissions, and first-semester advising services for prospective students along with other members of the counseling and admissions department and Continuing Education.
Why it’s Important
The Blue Ridge team is excited by every opportunity to be creative, innovative, and engaging. We do this by working alongside our Staff and Faculty to ensure we provide a modern, technologically advanced institution for the community. We are here to support our Students to ensure they reach their highest potential. Our team engages with the community to ensure that we are consistently meeting standards and then rising above them. Guiding students along their educational journey is our calling and we are looking for like-minded teammates to help us serve our community. Whether a student is entering the workforce for the first time, entering a new profession, or just expanding their knowledge, we are here to provide the necessary tools to accomplish all their goals. Working together, no elevation is too high, and no summit is unreachable.
What You'll be Doing
- Function as a team member within the Counseling/Admissions team as well as the Student Services Division.
- Provide assistance to prospective students who are contacting the college either in person or by phone, mail, or electronic communication.
- Share in general departmental admissions duty and counseling responsibilities.
- Assist with recruiting events as needed.
- Serve as first semester advisor for new students in select programs
- Work closely with faculty in assigned specialty area to keep current with advising guidelines and program and industry changes-conduct regular visits with faculty to establish rapport.
- Provide follow-up response for Early Intervention process with student and/or faculty/staff.
- Conduct transfer credit evaluations for students entering assigned programs
- Assist with reviewing student documentation for credit for prior learning.
- Conduct probation conferences as needed.
- Provide Career, Personal, and Crisis Counseling to students at the Henderson County Campus, Transylvania County Campus, and the Health Science Center.
- Work with community partners and identify ways to collaborate.
- Insure compliance and confidentiality with all policies and procedures of the College, NC Community College System, and applicable State and Federal agencies.
- Coordinate admissions processes and procedures for all high school students enrolling at the College under Career and College Promise enrolled from private schools and counties outside of the service area. Work closely with the Registrar, Office for Instruction, Career Coaches, Director of Enrollment Management, and the Vice President for Student Services to provide the most effective and efficient process for all high school enrollment.
- Perform other duties as may be assigned by the supervisor.
- Maintain the technical competencies necessary to the job function.
Master’s degree preferred, in Education, Counseling, or a related area. Licensed Professional Counselor (LPC) preferred.
Skills and the Know-How
Strong personal and professional integrity, excellent verbal and written communication skills, and a commitment to safety. A positive attitude with a real enjoyment of the challenge of working toward positive outcomes for the prospective student, the admissions team and the College. Proficiency using Microsoft Office Suite or similar products, Database systems, Content Management Systems (CMS), College email and website, web-based computer applications associated with the position. Knowledge of budget preparation, monitoring and administration.
- Excellent counseling skills for use in the educational setting to include, career, crisis, diversity and sensitivity issues, and general admissions counseling.
- Interpersonal skills necessary to work with a diverse population of current/prospective students, parents, co-workers, or outside agencies.
- Ability to multi-task to meet the demands of walk-in students or incoming calls.
- A student-centered customer service attitude is required.
- A positive attitude with a real enjoyment of the challenge of working toward positive outcomes for both prospective and current students, the Counseling Team, The Student Service Division, and the College.
- Maintain a flexible schedule which may include some evenings, weekends, and travel
- Knowledge of budget preparation, monitoring, and administration.
The ability to perform all duties associated with the position including, but not limited to lifting, prolonged standing, sitting, bending, stooping, and operating or performing work with associated tools and machines.
Blue Ridge is an Equal Employment Opportunity Institution
How to Apply
Job Post Contact