133 Sprunt Drive, Kenansville, NC 28349
Closes: Monday, February 25, 2019
Target Start Date
Expected Work Hours
Required: Master's Degree in Education or Counseling. PLEASE NOTE: COPIES OF UNOFFICIAL TRANSCRIPTS SHOWING NAME OF SCHOOL AND DATE DEGREE AWARDED AND/OR CONFERRED IS REQUIRED IN ORDER TO QUALIFY. PLEASE HAVE THESE DOCUMENTS READY TO UPLOAD WHEN APPLYING.
Required: Some experience in Academic and Career counseling.
Preferred: Master's Degree in Counseling with Concentration in Career Assessment and Planning. Bilingual. Career Readiness Certificate (CRC)
Considerable experience in Academic and Career Counseling as well as college testing administration.
Assist students in evaluating their academic interest and abilities. Provides counseling to assist students with personal, social, and educational endeavors. Provide information to students regarding career pathways. Assist students in evaluating their personality, interests, and abilities in order to make informed educational and career choices.
Assist with admissions, advising, testing, disability services, new student orientation, and registration. ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:This list is meant to be representative, not exhaustive. Some incumbents may not perform all the duties listed while in other cases related duties may also be assigned. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
* Conduct academic and personal counseling for students; provide counseling for students who are on academic probation/suspension.
* Assist in the college's academic advising objectives; serves as liaison between faculty, students, and the Student Services Division.
* Assist with scheduling and administering tests to include AHSE, TEAS, SAT, Interests and Career Inventories, and placement testing.
* Coordinate JSCC Annual Job Fair.
* Track and report CTE students who gained employment within 90 days after leaving postsecondary education.
* Share community employment opportunities with students, faculty, and staff.
* Conduct Employability Workshops/Seminars that foster improving employability skills.
* Coordinate and provide Job Shadowing opportunities for CTE students through local employment agencies.
* Coordinate and schedule the college's New Student Orientation Program.
* Assist in providing disability services to students through counseling and coordinating accommodations with instructors.
* Refer students to community agencies as necessary
* Provide specific academic and career counseling to students that desire to enroll in educational programs that lead to certification.
* Acquire computer/technology competencies as appropriate to position.
* Assist with equipment and software maintenance.
* Maintain security of personal computer access.
* Perform other professional or job-related duties as assigned.
* Serve on college committees.MINIMUM QUALIFICATIONS: KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS AND ABILITIES::The requirements listed below are representative of the knowledge, skills and abilities required to satisfactorily perform the essential duties and responsibilities.
Communicate effectively verbally and in writing.
Proficiently operate a computer and related software.
Use active listening skills.
Be proactive, anticipate problems, and try to solve them independently.
Be organized, with a flexible attitude.
Be a team player.
Demonstrate integrity (honesty, trustworthiness, high moral values).
Ability to maintain confidentiality at all times.
Ability to maintain a professional demeanor in a fast-paced environment.
Skill in organizing, planning, and coordinating meetings.
Proven knowledge and skill in the use of advanced features of Microsoft Word, and Excel.
Ability to show initiative and self-direction as well as communicate professionally across a variety of constituent groups.
Proven ability to concurrently address issues of various levels of complexity.
Knowledge in the areas of job placement and career opportunities.
Knowledge in the areas of testing administration; to include assessments, scoring, and academic placement.
Knowledge in academic counseling relating to individual education plans and personal counseling and referral.
Knowledge in assisting students with disabilities (ADA).