Closes: Thursday, September 30, 2021
Target Start Date
Expected Work Hours
- Master’s degree in school counseling, agency counseling or student development personnel counseling.
- At least two years of experience in the counseling profession preferably in a mental health, community college or four-year university setting.
- NCC, MCC, NCSC, and/or NC LPC credentials
Reports to the Director of Counseling & Special Services. Responsible for all aspects of counseling students for School of Business and Advanced Manufacturing, Industry, Technology and Trades/AMITT. Coordinate the individual and group counseling services that support current and prospective community college students in meeting their career development, personal, educational and academic/admissions goals. Administer and interpret career inventories. Conduct classroom workshops for personal and career development. Provide personal counseling as needed. Refer students as needed to local and state support agencies. Provide pre-admission advisement as needed for Business and Advanced Manufacturing, Industry, Technology and Trades/AMITT applicants.
ESSENTIAL JOB FUNCTIONS:
- Provide personal, academic, and career counseling for the School of Business and Advanced Manufacturing, Industry, Technology and Trades/AMITT
- Provide additional support and registration of students on academic probation.
- Offer mental health/counseling related monthly awareness events as well as workshops on career services.
- Conduct classroom sessions on academic support topics and career counseling services (time management, study strategies, resume writing, etc.)
- Provide personal, academic, and career counseling for School of Business and Advanced Manufacturing, Industry, Technology and Trades/AMITT students.
- Refer students as needed to the appropriate human services agencies including Vocational Rehabilitation, Department of Social Services, local and regional mental health associations, local medical centers, employment institutions, and the health department.
- Assist Career Services as needed with administering and interpreting career interest, values, and personality inventories as well as computerized software guidance programs to students.
- Register students on academic probation, based on course recommendations from Business and Advanced Manufacturing, Industry, Technology and Trades/AMITT success coaches.
- Conduct classroom and online workshops regarding career development; Collaborate with other staff members in the planning and coordination of career outreach and programs such as job fairs, career programs, and employer panels.
- Work in collaboration with other members of the Department of Counseling & Special Services to develop and offer programming and training for students, faculty and staff regarding mental health, wellness and other topics deemed relevant to Stanly Community College
- Administer and interpret the admissions placement tests for students on an as-needed basis to support the Placement Test Coordinator.
- Advise and register students in the School of Business and Advanced Manufacturing, Industry, Technology and Trades/AMITT to assist faculty during peak times of registration.
- Support the Assistant Dean of Students and the Director of Outreach with programs and events including but not limited to the following: career coaching/advising, job search workshops, College Promise Programs with high school students and alumni initiatives.
- Assist with the School of Business and Advanced Manufacturing, Industry, Technology and Trades/AMITT student orientation programs.
- Serve on institutional committees as assigned.
- Other duties as assigned by the Director of Counseling and Special Services.
Required Position Training to be completed in the first year of hire:
- SCC New Employee Orientation
- Global Career Development Facilitator Training
How to Apply
Job Post Contact
Human Resources Specialist
Stanly Community College
141 College Dr.
Albemarle, NC 28001