Dillingham Campus, Burlington, NC
Closes: Friday, December 2, 2022
Target Start Date
Expected Work Hours
- Master's degree or equivalent and four to ten years related experience and/or training; or equivalent combination of education and experience.
- Proven ability in instructional leadership, program development, planning, and curriculum and budget management.
- Experience working with diverse populations.
- Successful track record of building and maintaining external partnerships.
- Exhibits the visionary qualities of a forward-thinking leader in a rapidly changing economic and social environment.
- Experience as an academic program director, department chair/head, or director at a post-secondary institution
The Dean of Applied Engineering, Agriculture & Skilled Trades (AAS) provides leadership for curriculum programs. The Dean is responsible for monitoring and growing student enrollment, including researching new programs, implementing retention and completion strategies, and recruiting new students. The Dean works with Department Heads and faculty to ensure quality of instruction and student learning. The Dean assists in recruiting, hiring, onboarding, and evaluating the Division’s Department Heads, staff, and faculty. The position works with the appropriate faculty and staff to develop and implement academic policies and programs and collaborates with business and industry to ensure that programs meet industry needs. The Dean also manages the College’s federal Perkins grant program, including the grant budget, performance metrics, related activities, and all reporting requirements.
EXAMPLE OF DUTIES:
Duties and Responsibilities include the following. Other duties may be assigned.
- Increase enrollment in the AAS Division: Monitor program-level enrollment growth targets; monitor and analyze headcount, FTE, and success rates by program, including disaggregated data; track fill rates; ensure that course schedules are built to accommodate targeted enrollment growth; propose and implement new programs and pathways that align with industry needs; and implement strategies that increase headcount and FTE.
- Manage communications within and between divisions and departments (Workforce Development, Corporate Education, Curriculum, Marketing, and Student Success, for example) that promote collaboration, improve processes, and grow enrollment.
- Lead and manage the development and implementation process for short and long-term plans that grow enrollment and align with the College’s strategic goals, mission, and vision; evaluate the effectiveness of such plans and activities and adjust as applicable.
- Implement and monitor a comprehensive and systematic approach to continuous improvement by using and analyzing program, course and student outcomes assessment data to design, review, evaluate and revise programs and academic success initiatives.
- Lead and provide guidance in operational systems that result in effective and efficient administrative processes for budget management, inventory management, student advisement, student learning outcomes, recruitment and retention, course scheduling and instructional operations, faculty orientation, and all other systems that support instruction, instructional administration, and student support.
- Engage in the recruitment and selection of quality faculty and staff, provide leadership development for Department Heads, Work-Based learning Coordinator, and Apprenticeship Implementer.
- Make recommendations regarding personnel matters to support engagement, learning, and growth.
- Carry out supervisory responsibilities in accordance with the organization's policies and applicable laws. Responsibilities include interviewing, hiring, and training employees; planning, assigning, and directing work; appraising performance; rewarding and disciplining employees; addressing complaints and resolving problems.
- Maintain confidentiality of student and employee information.
- Recommend professional development opportunities for faculty and staff with an emphasis on remaining current in field of study and promoting the college’s mission and vision.
- Implement and monitor compliance within the division with all College policies and procedures.
- Support and document continued compliance with all SACSCOC accreditation principles relevant to the division and Curriculum.
- Provide community level support by developing advisory boards that contribute to the accomplishment of the division's goals.
- Build and maintain relationships and alliances with four-year institutions, high schools, and other external constituencies to fulfill the mission, goals and objectives of the College as it relates to the AAS Division.
- Coordinate the College’s Perkins grant program, including budget, performance, grant activities, and all reporting requirements.
- Ensure all timelines are met and requirements are submitted by established deadlines.
- Perform other duties as assigned, including but not limited to, serving on committees, reporting to the Board of Trustees as requested by the President, and participating in professional development.
To perform the job successfully, an individual should demonstrate the following competencies:
- Excellence – We hold ourselves to the highest expectations and are committed to meeting them with integrity.
- Learning – We provide high-quality educational experiences that help people gain the knowledge, skills, behaviors, and values necessary to achieve their goals.
- Community – We promote collaboration and partnerships through respectful interactions.
- Equity and Inclusion – We embrace the diversity of our communities, work to ensure that each person feels a sense of belonging, and provide access to the resources people need to succeed.
- Innovation – We are open to change, creativity, and risk-taking that help us achieve our mission and goals.
Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
How to Apply
An ACC on-line application MUST be fully completed for consideration, which includes a required letter of interest and transcript attachment. Resume attachments are welcome but will not be accepted in lieu of complete application. Transcript MUST be scanned and attached in order to be considered for this position!