Haywood Community College
185 Freedlander Drive
Clyde, NC 28721
- Instructional (Faculty)
Closes: Monday, April 1, 2019
Target Start Date
Expected Work Hours
- Master’s degree from a regionally accredited institution
- Academic preparation that meets minimum SACSCOC criteria for teaching in a departmental academic program
- Five years of college-level teaching experience
- Two years of administrative leadership experience in higher education at the academic division or discipline level
- Skill in establishing and maintaining effective working relationships with community and related industry partners
- Ability to manage multiple projects in a timely manner
- Demonstrated skills and progressive responsibility in instruction, technology, budget management and supervision
- Excellent human relations and communication skills
- Administrative leadership and teaching experience in a community college
- Five years of administrative leadership experience in higher education at the academic division or discipline level
- Experience with business and industry sector and workforce development programs
Specifically responsible for department leadership, management, and direction in the following functions, the Dean shall:
- Supervise, evaluate, and continually improve academic programs;
- Implement and review curriculum changes; write new program proposals; monitor new program development; evaluate programs and make appropriate recommendations;
- Assist in the assessment and analysis of community, business and industry sector, and public school needs;
- Actively participate in student recruitment activities and in encouraging program faculty to do so;
- Foster and maintain a nurturing environment and a department workplace emphasizing institutional core values;
- Cultivate faculty and staff professionalism, camaraderie, and the pursuit of excellence;
- Promote student success and academic completion through departmental initiatives;
- Participate in the development, analysis and implementation of varying methods of course development;
- Encourage and assist faculty in the periodic evaluation, assessment, and planning of program functions and foster the development and implementation of long-range objectives, goals, and plans;
- Oversee teaching and conducting annual performance reviews of program faculty in conjunction with Program Managers when appropriate;
- Maintain adequate procedures for faculty participation in department administration, including the formulation and development of budgets and financial plans, and for interchange of information concerning program matters;
- Conduct monthly (minimum) department meetings where minutes are taken and minutes are distributed to all department employees. Minutes should also be sent to the Office of Vice President of Instruction for posting and record keeping;
- Participate actively in Instructional Affairs and Curriculum Committee meetings, discussions, and decision making. Communicate recommendations/decisions of these committee actions to departmental faculty/staff;
- Utilize all appropriate means at his or her disposal to provide program faculty and staff with opportunities for continuing personal and professional development;
- Ensure that department faculty members/staff do not assume or be assigned undue responsibilities which might encroach upon the performance of their duties and serve as the channel for inter-institutional request; Dean also ensures that faculty/staff have appropriate workloads. If instructional faculty or staff workloads are low Dean will assign additional responsibilities;
- Act as the top tier adviser for students regarding courses required in any of the programs of study or instructional programs housed in the department;
- Promote vibrant program review process and utilize review findings to invigorate and improve programs of study.
- Work collaboratively with Division of Student Services, Business Operations, and other institutional support offices of Haywood Community College;
- Develop and maintain professional relationships and serve as a spokesperson for the department within the College and the community with agencies, businesses, and organizations essential to the program’s mission; e.g., industries employing graduates, 4-year transfer institutions, Haywood County Schools, Goodwill, Chamber of Commerce, program leaders at other community colleges, Department of Labor, Department of Education, National Association for the Education of Young Children, Society of American Foresters, etc.
- Utilize all appropriate means at his or her disposal to provide the faculty and staff of the program with opportunities for continuing personal and professional development;
- Provide leadership to uphold the standards and criteria set forth by the accrediting agencies the department that impact the department’s instruction;
- Serve on faculty, college and/or University and Community College System of North Carolina committees as appropriate;
- Maintain professional skills and subject expertise through continual study and research and through involvement in professional organizations;
- Participate in grant development and management;
- Support and encourage college-sponsored initiative and activities;
- Perform other related duties incidental to the work described herein.
- Operation of college vehicles required as a part of professional development, training requirements and programming needs
Other duties may be assigned as deemed appropriate and/or necessary by the Vice President of Instruction or College President.
Active NC Driver's License required if position requires the operation of college vehicle as part of duties. Satisfactory Motor Vehicle Background check required.
Must be able to remain stationary at a desk for extended periods of time; Some standing; Some walking; Frequently communicates with students, potential students, faculty, staff and general public regarding inquiries and must be able to exchange knowledgeable information in these situations; Repetitive motion from computer/keyboard/switchboard usage
Work is performed in a fast paced office environment. Work pressure may exist due to combination of high call volume and face to face office inquiries
Safe operation of equipment used for Business and Industry program training is expected.
Personal Protective Equipment
The college may from time to time provide safety training that includes the use of PPE equipment that may protect the user against the potential for health or safety risks at work
How to Apply
To Apply Submit:
- Official Haywood Community College employment application online found at www.haywood.edu, click on the HCC Jobs tab then select position applying for.
- Application must be complete for consideration- do not reference resume. Unofficial transcripts will be accepted for the application process. Most unofficial transcripts can be downloaded from college/university websites. Official transcripts of all secondary education must be submitted to Human Resources within 10 days of offer of employment.
- References may not be current HCC employee. Must provide 3 professional references with email addresses.
- College screening committee is responsible for application review, interviews, and recommends the final candidate to the college president.
- HCC is a tobacco free campus
HCC is an Equal Employment Opportunity Institution.