Shelby, North Carolina
Closes: Monday, May 3, 2021
Target Start Date
Expected Work Hours
- Master’s degree from an accredited institution in higher education administration or a Master’s degree in a college transfer discipline.
- 5 years of teaching experience.
- Administrative experience is preferred.
Skills and Abilities
- Ability to work or meet in the evenings and/or on weekends, with advance notice.
- Ability to provide leadership in anticipating and responding to change.
- Ability to work effectively and collegially with others.
- Skill in the use of computers and commitment to use of technology.
- Experience with current version of MS Office or similar programs.
- Excellent oral and written communication skills.
- Provide exceptional customer services with people internal and external to the institution.
- Effectiveness in the following College organizational competencies:
- Translating College purpose, values, and vision into organizational action
- Collaborating and facilitating
- Creating and innovating
- Anticipating and responding to change
- Providing vision and leadership
- Familiarity with and appreciation for the mission of a comprehensive community college.
- Flexible and adapts to change.
- Ability to multi-task with multiple departments and activities of others.
Administrative experience is preferred.
Doctorate from an accredited institution in higher education administration or college transfer discipline.
This position plans, oversees, organizes and directs the activities of Arts/Sciences and supports College functions to ensure that assigned duties fulfill applicable Federal, State, and College academic goals and objectives. The Dean is expected to represent the College with extreme professionalism while selecting, supervising, training, and evaluating academic personnel as assigned. The individual must also demonstrate evidence of a career path that includes flexibility and a willingness to change; open-mindedness, fairness and the ability to see multiple perspectives; the ability to take risks for the benefit of the College with a mindset to fully accept responsibility for professional and personal growth. In addition, the Dean is to provide leadership working with faculty to ensure quality programs, program planning and development, regular program evaluations, high professional standards, and a student-centered learning environment.
- Evaluate the annual performance of department chairs; coordinate evaluation of discipline coordinators, full-time, and adjunct faculty.
- Assist the Vice President of Academic Affairs with on-going, systematic assessment and evaluation for the continuous improvement of instruction and related services.
- Ensure that all assessments on the program level (program review) are completed by the department chairs and discipline coordinators as appropriate, while confirming that all programs in the division meet local, NCCCS, and SACS-COC quality standards.
- Review program recommendations and implement program improvements, per curriculum protocols (i.e. NCCCS curriculum standards, Curriculum Committee changes, and through attending annual academic Advisory Board committee meetings.
- Conduct regularly scheduled divisional meetings; coordinate and approve faculty work schedules; approve the schedule of semester course offerings; and, participate in registration, pre-registration, and student orientation.
- Ensure that courses are scheduled according to the suggested catalog sequence as well as solidify that schedules are coordinated properly within departments of the division.
- Evaluate teaching overload requests and provide justification if necessary for approved overloads.
- Ensure that official transcripts and other credentials are filed for each full-time and adjunct faculty member prior to the beginning of the faculty member’s teaching assignment.
- Coordinate divisional and departmental requests for instructional equipment, materials, and supplies.
- Work with public school superintendents, directors, and coordinators to provide beneficial programs for dual enrollment through Career and College Promise course offerings, Cleveland Early College High School, and other community educational partnerships.
- Publicize programs with Cleveland County Schools, Chambers of Commerce, business & industry and other potential employers.
- Visit Career and College Promise classrooms and establish a positive rapport with school site leadership and faculty.
- Coordinate grants for professional development with the Vice President for Academic Affairs (e.g., Perkins, Tier A and Back to Industry).
- Ensure full-time and adjunct faculty maintain current and up to date with teaching methodologies, as well as complete adequate professional development hours and opportunities.
- Work with business and industry to establish on-site courses as requested.
- Participate on search committees and serve on interview teams for the selection of full-time faculty and coordinators.
- Assist with accreditation and related reports.
- Serve on committees as required.
- Perform other duties as assigned, in addition to all those incident to the work described herein.
Job Post Contact