Merancas Campus - Huntersville
Closes: Sunday, December 31, 2023
Target Start Date
Expected Work Hours
- Bachelor’s Degree – must be credentialed to teach in a Public Service area.
- Three years community college teaching and administrative experience
- Five years community college teaching in related area and administrative experience
- Master’s Degree
- Experience in the North Carolina Community College System
- Work experience in public safety
Provides academic leadership and supervision of department programs and assigned division for instructional personnel and quality instructional processes; ensures appropriate semester courses are scheduled in a timely manner, review selection of supplies and equipment, actively recruit and provide retention efforts for faculty, mentor new department program personnel, evaluates program personnel, provides leadership in program curriculum reviews and program development and review; coordinates with different college division program offerings/activities and updates. Maintains proficiency in the skills and qualifications that align with the faculty and program chair job descriptions as well as being credentialed in at least one degree or program area under direct supervision. Provides leadership in marketing all assigned programs.
Duties and Responsibilities
- Supervises division programs, faculty, and coordinator/liaisons; assist and advise the Associate Vice President to ensure instructional excellence.
- Evaluates each direct report and serve as endorser for divisional faculty members on a yearly basis in coordination with the Associate Vice President. Manage the supervision, contracting, evaluation and professional development plans of full-time faculty and staff; oversee the recruitment, selection, contracting and evaluation of part-time faculty and staff; collaborate with the Faculty Credentialing office to ensure all faculty are properly credentialed prior to job offer. Facilitate succession planning.
- Works with department chairs and coordinator/liaisons to assure that programs and courses are up to date, abreast of technology, and in compliance with state and national accreditation standards. Appoints program chairs/coordinators for the Division; appoints faculty/staff to committees.
- Assists the Associate Vice President in supervising and supporting part-time and full-time faculty & staff.
- Encourages personnel in division to enhance their skills by attending Professional Development seminars/workshops etc.
- Participates in the development, implementation, and evaluation of policies utilized by each curriculum.
- Recruits, interviews, and recommends the appointment of faculty, full-time and adjunct, to the Associate Vice President and provide appropriate orientation as appropriate.
- Oversees teaching schedules for divisional faculty within workload policy guidelines. At the beginning of each semester, and throughout as classes are added, notify Associate Vice President of any full-time faculty overload and all part-time contracts requiring exception.
- Resolves student grievances with instructors and classroom management, when justified.
- Facilitates the communication of divisional, departmental and/or college information to division staff and faculty, both full-time and adjunct, via meetings, emails, etc., as needed.
- Communicates faculty and staff needs to the Associate Vice President.
- Reviews, evaluates, develops, and assesses departmental goals, annual plans, student learning outcomes, and course offerings periodically, facilitating innovation in curricular and instructional development in keeping with the mission and vision of the College. Develops and recommends new or modified courses and programs, and supports all instructional initiatives of the college.
- Participates in monitoring and coordinating the development and visibility of instructional courses and programs; ensures that courses and programs reflect current practices and comply with policies, procedures, goals, and objectives. Reviews, recommends for approval and monitors the use of course syllabi, materials, and textbooks; maintains currency on instructional techniques and methods.
- Provides support and direction for the ordering of textbooks and instructional materials; approves workloads; recommends and implements policies and procedures; ensures faculty qualifications/credentials are current.
- Recommends appropriate revisions to the program of study, course objectives, and other departmental program information to the Associate Vice President.
- Ensures each departmental program is in full compliance with the requirements for all types of accreditation.
- Collaborates with the Associate Dean(s) to conduct advisory committee meetings; coordinate the activities of Division advisory committees; makes presentations to outside contacts. Maintain minutes of the advisory committees and follow through on recommendations.
- Provides information pertaining to SACSCOC, Program accreditation, Academic Continuous Improvement plans, and other institutional requests.
- Coordinates operations within the division; participates in the development and administration of the divisional budget; forecasts and recommends funds needed for staffing, equipment, materials, and supplies; monitors and recommends approval of expenditures.
- Recommends departmental needs for personnel, equipment, supplies, facilities, and other resources during the annual planning process to the Associate Vice President.
- At the beginning of each semester, and throughout as classes are added, notify Associate Vice President of any full-time faculty overload and all part-time contracts.
- Uses the college Classification/Compensation system and other related policies and procedures and the NC Community College Code as it affects the division.
- Ensures timely completion of the Academic Continuous Program (General Education Foundation or Programs of Study) by all program chairs and provides direction and support of needs to create a culture of improvement to achieve student success.
- Provides support and direction to the Associate Dean (s) and chairs to ensure that classes are scheduled to meet student needs at all locations/times/formats; provides appropriate office support.
- Counsels and advises students; participate in the student grievance process.
Other Services to Students
- Maintains regular, appropriate, professional communication with students.
- Assists in the recruitment and retention efforts of the College.
- Advocates and provide motivation for students.
Divisional Administrative Expectations
- Remains current in discipline and instructional methods through professional development activities offered by the college and other opportunities, including attendance at off-campus activities, webinars, etc., as approved.
- Serves on and actively contributes to college committees as assigned.
- Participates in campus activities.
- Participates in discipline, departmental, divisional, and institutional meetings and other announced co- curricular activities of the College.
- Maintains regular, professional communication within the college and affiliated industry contacts.
- Maintains posted office and on-campus hours sufficient to fulfill all contracted duties and individual professional obligations and meet the needs of the discipline, department, division, and College.
- Supports all functions of the College, including compliance with all facets of the College's policies.
- Develops and serves on committees and task forces; attends regularly scheduled meetings; researches and develops recommendations related to the operation of the division.
- Confers with and advises appropriate administrators; makes timely response to requests for information. Coordinates assigned instructional and administrative activities with those of other instructional divisions and outside agencies and organizations.
- Participates in the marketing of programs and program outreach and engagement activities in support of recruiting students.
Other Duties Specific to this Position
- Assists the AVP in managing the divisional budget by regularly monitoring the status of expenditures and implementing inventory control methods.
- Works with program heads to establish and maintain an effective advisory committee in support of the divisional programs
- Oversees and manages collaborative efforts in new facility construction. completion for two new Public Safety Training facilities. Upon completion, responsibilities will include facility management, instruction, budget, and other administrative duties related the training centers.
- Builds and maintains relationships with relative external agencies.
- Represents and performs other duties for the College as requested.
How to Apply
Job Post Contact