Old Charlotte Highway Campus in Monroe, NC and LL Polk Campus in Polkton, NC
Closes: Monday, July 1, 2019
Target Start Date
Expected Work Hours
• Master’s degree, with a minimum of 18 graduate semester hours in a discipline taught within the School of Arts and Sciences
• Four years of full-time teaching experience, or a part-time equivalent teaching at the college level
• Three years of full-time experience with programmatic supervision, at the Chair, Program Coordinator, Director, or at the equivalent level of responsibility
• Experience with program review and student learning outcomes assessment
• Experience developing, implementing, teaching, and evaluating seated, Web- enhanced, hybrid, and online classes
• Experience with class scheduling, and evidence of the ability to develop creative, student centered, class scheduling options
• Experience developing and implementing faculty professional development opportunities
• Experience with goal setting and strategic planning
• Experience managing budgets
• Experience writing and administering grants
• Experience developing, negotiating, and implementing articulation agreements
• Experience implementing and/or supervising co-curricular activities such as college honors, global studies, service learning, eportfolio, etc.
The Dean of the School of Arts and Sciences is a full-time 12-month position. Under the direction of the Vice President of Academic Affairs/Chief Academic Officer, the Dean of the School of Arts and Sciences collaborates with the Associate Vice President of Academic Affairs for Student Success and other Deans and Directors in the Division of Academic Affairs to support the College mission, to support faculty and staff, and to provide quality learning opportunities for students. The Dean provides leadership, motivates others, and facilitates change while effectively managing programs of learning, resources, and personnel. This individual serves as a liaison among students, faculty, staff, administration, and the community at large. The Dean has primary supervision over the following transfer degrees and associated faculty and staff: Associate in Arts, Associate in Science, Associate in Fine Arts-Visual Art, and Associate in Engineering. The Dean coordinates general education/core skill curriculum and assessment across the College and is responsible for exploring, negotiating, and enacting articulation agreements between the College and College/University partners. The Dean will teach one course per year.
• Promote quality in learning and instruction by using student-centered principles in leadership, management, hiring, scheduling, evaluation, and professional development
• Supervise, mentor, and evaluate Department Chairs and Program Directors
• Support, mentor, and assist assigned Department Chairs/Program Directors in:
o The selection, evaluation, and professional development of faculty
o The development of a student-centered course schedule, ensuring appropriate availability and sequencing of courses
o The implementation of pedagogical innovation
o The oversight of program review and student learning outcomes assessment process.
o The coordination of the development, implementation, and evaluation of new courses, ensuring appropriate availability and sequencing of new courses.
• Develop and prepare recommendations for the School budget, including forecasting anticipated budgetary needs for staffing, equipment and supplies; monitor School expenditures
• Actively participate in College committees and activities, including (but not limited to), Planning Councils, Advisory Boards, other College committees, College activities and events, and participate in College-related community activities and events
• Actively participate in student recruitment and retention activities, admissions, advising, and registration activities
• Actively participate in grant prospecting, authoring, editing, evaluation, and reporting
• Cultivate and maintain strong partnerships with appropriate community stakeholders in support of programmatic and institutional advancement
• Demonstrate a high-level of professionalism, innovation, collaboration, and institutional commitment in all actions
• Actively pursue articulation agreements with University partners
• Perform other duties as assigned by the Vice President of Academic Affairs/Chief Academic Officer.