Closes: Sunday, December 31, 2023
Target Start Date
Expected Work Hours
- Bachelor’s Degree – must be credentialed to teach in a Skilled Trades or Transportation area.
- Three years community college teaching and administrative experience
- Five years community college teaching in related area and administrative experience
- Master’s Degree
- Experience in the North Carolina Community College System
Provide academic leadership and supervision of department programs, and instructional personnel, ensure appropriate semester courses are scheduled in a timely matter, review selection of supplies and equipment, actively recruit and provide retention efforts for faculty, mentor new department program personnel, evaluate program personnel, provide leadership in program reviews and program development; coordinate with different college division program offerings/activities and updates. Provide leadership in marketing all assigned programs.
Duties and Responsibilities
- Supervise division programs, faculty, and coordinator/liaisons; assist and advise the Associate Vice President to ensure instructional excellence.
- Evaluate each direct report and serve as endorser for divisional faculty members on a yearly basis in coordination with the Associate Vice President.
- Working with department chairs and coordinator/liaisons, assure that programs and courses are up to date, abreast of technology, and in compliance with state and national accreditation standards.
- Assist the Associate Vice President in supervising and supporting part-time and full-time faculty & staff.
- Encourage personnel in division to enhance their skills by attending Professional Development seminars/workshops etc.
- Participate in the development, implementation, and evaluation of policies utilized by each curriculum.
- Recruit, interview, and recommend the appointment of faculty, full-time and adjunct, to the Associate Vice President and provide appropriate orientation as appropriate.
- Oversee teaching schedules for divisional faculty within workload policy guidelines. At the beginning of each semester, and throughout as classes are added, notify AVP of any full-time faculty overload and all part-time contracts requiring exception.
- Resolve student grievances with instructors and classroom management, when justified.
- Facilitate the communication of divisional, departmental and/or college information to division staff and faculty, both full-time and adjunct, via meetings, emails, etc., as needed.
- Communicate faculty and staff needs to the Associate Vice President.
- Review, evaluate, and assess departmental goals, annual plans, student learning outcomes, and course offerings periodically, facilitating innovation in curricular and instructional development in keeping with the mission and vision of the College.
- Recommend appropriate revisions to the program of study, course objectives, and other departmental program information to the Associate Vice President.
- Ensure each departmental program is in full compliance with the requirements for all types of accreditation.
- Collaborate with the Associate Deans to conduct advisory committee meetings. Maintain minutes of the advisory committees and follow through on recommendations.
- Recommend departmental needs for personnel, equipment, supplies, facilities, and other resources during the annual planning process to the Associate Vice President.
- At the beginning of each semester, and throughout as classes are added, notify AVP of any full-time faculty overload and all part-time contracts.
Teach all assigned courses (up to 6 contact hours per academic year).
Other Services to Students
- Maintain regular, appropriate, professional communication with students.
- Assist in the recruitment and retention efforts of the College.
- Advocate and provide motivation for students.
Divisional Administrative Expectations
- Remain current in discipline and instructional methods through professional development activities offered by the College and other opportunities, including attendance at off-campus activities, webinars, etc., as approved.
- Serve on and actively contribute to college committees as assigned.
- Participate in campus activities.
- Participate in discipline, departmental, divisional, and institutional meetings and other announced co-curricular activities of the College.
- Maintain regular, professional communication within the college and affiliated industry contacts.
- Maintain posted office and on-campus hours sufficient to fulfill all contracted duties and individual professional obligations and meet the needs of the discipline, department, division, and College.
- Support all functions of the College, including compliance with all facets of the College's policies.
Other Duties Specific to this Position
- Assist the AVP in managing the divisional budget by regularly monitoring the status of expenditures and implementing inventory control methods.
- Work with program heads to establish and maintain an effective advisory committee in support of the divisional programs
How to Apply
Job Post Contact