- Instructional (Faculty)
Closes: Friday, February 15, 2019
Target Start Date
Expected Work Hours
- Master’s degree in Arts or Sciences area – must be able to teach in a current transferrable area
- Three years community college teaching and administrative experience
- Five years community college teaching in related area and administrative experience
Provide academic leadership and supervision of department programs, and instructional personnel, CCP coordinator/liaison, and SEC coordinator/liaison; ensure appropriate semester courses are scheduled in a timely matter, review selection of supplies and equipment, actively recruit and provide retention efforts for faculty, mentor new department program personnel, evaluate program personnel, provide leadership in program reviews and program development; coordinate with different college division program offerings/activities and updates. Provide leadership in marketing all University Transfer and PreCollege programs.
ESSENTIAL JOB FUNCTIONS:
- Personnel Management
- Program Management
- Budget Management
- Classroom Instruction
- Student Services
- Divisional Administration
- Supervise division programs, faculty, and coordinator/liaisons; assist and advise the Associate Vice President to ensure instructional excellence.
- Coordinate all divisional schedules. Prepare a master schedule of course offerings each semester that meets the needs of the departmental programs and the students.
- Evaluate each direct report and serve as endorser for divisional faculty members on a yearly basis in coordination with the Associate Vice President.
- Working with department heads and coordinator/liaisons, assure that programs and courses are up to date, abreast of technology, and in compliance with state and national accreditation standards.
- Assist the Associate Vice President in supervising and supporting part-time and full-time faculty & staff.
- Encourage personnel in division to enhance their skills by attending Professional Development seminars/workshops etc.
- Participate in the development, implementation, and evaluation of policies utilized by each curriculum.
- Provide supervision to Program Heads for maintenance/safety of equipment and labs.
- Recruit, interview, and recommend the appointment of faculty, full-time and adjunct, to the Associate Vice President and provide appropriate orientation as appropriate.
- Submit all hiring documents and verification of credentials for all divisional faculty when applicable.
- Assist division faculty in course planning, instructional delivery, and classroom management.
- Oversee teaching schedules for divisional faculty within workload policy guidelines. At the beginning of each semester, and throughout as classes are added, notify AVP of any full-time faculty overload and all part-time PBC contracts.
- Supervise and evaluate the operation of all classes and divisional faculty in accordance with policy, including classroom observations when necessary.
- Resolve student grievances with instructors and classroom management, when justified.
- Facilitate the communication of divisional, departmental and/or college information to division staff and faculty, both full-time and adjunct, via meetings, emails, etc., as needed.
- Advocate and provide motivation for divisional faculty and staff.
- Communicate faculty and staff needs to the Associate Vice President.
- Encourage sound educational practices and student engagement.
- Manage and resolve any conflict within the division.
- Create and monitor employee performance improvement plans (PIPs), when warranted.
- In coordination with the Associate Vice President, approve leave requests (timesheets) and departmental textbooks - facilitate the selection and submission of orders for textbooks.
- Review, evaluate, and assess departmental goals, annual plans, student learning outcomes, and course offerings periodically, facilitating innovation in curricular and instructional development in keeping with the mission and vision of the College.
- Ensure department heads collect data as needed for program SLOs coordinated by the UT Program Head.
- Recommend appropriate revisions to the program of study, course objectives, and other departmental program information to the Associate Vice President.
- Ensure each departmental program is in full compliance with the requirements for accreditation, certification, and other standards as stipulated by NCCCS, SACSCOC, and any other related agencies and organizations.
- Ensure Career & College Promise (CCP, SEC, CIHS) guidelines are strictly followed as stipulated by NCCCS & State Board Code. Ensure all paperwork related to CCP is complete and accurate by the end of each semester.
- Develop and maintain productive relationships with those agencies and other organizations within the community/industry which are pertinent to the departmental programs and to prospective graduates.
- Collaborate with the Associate Vice President to conduct advisory committee meetings. Maintain minutes of the advisory committees and follow through on recommendations.
- Recommend departmental needs for personnel, equipment, supplies, facilities, and other resources during the annual planning process to the Associate Vice President.
- At the beginning of each semester, and throughout as classes are added, notify AVP of any full-time faculty overload and all part-time PBC contracts.
- Teach all assigned courses (up to 6 contact hours per semester).
- Ensure that each class session contains essential curricular components, incorporates appropriate content and pedagogy, and is relevant to current events/trends.
- As needed, teach classes online, on-campus, and/or at off-campus sites.
- Teach an academic success class as needed.
- Prepare and submit instructional records, reports, and other required paperwork in a timely, efficient manner meeting all deadlines, checking for accuracy, correctness, and completeness of all data.
- Evaluate student progress and provide appropriate, timely feedback.
- Maintain regular, appropriate, professional communication with students.
- Incorporate appropriate instructional technology to enhance student learning.
- Ensure cleanliness of instructional areas and laboratories.
- Ensure the proper operation of classroom/lab equipment, reporting any malfunctions to the appropriate person(s).
- Coordinate the evaluation and acquisition of instructional materials, audiovisual aids, support and equipment needs.
- Develop and distribute course syllabi according to the established template and guidelines, providing appropriate information to students concerning course expectations, evaluation criteria, and access to student services.
Other Services to Students
- Maintain appropriate accessibility for students, including a minimum of five office hours a week.
- Serve as educational mentor to assigned students by providing academic and employment planning.
- Maintain regular, appropriate, professional communication with students.
- Participate in semester advising and registration activities as assigned.
- Verify graduation degree audits as assigned.
- Assist in the recruitment and retention efforts of the College.
- Advocate and provide motivation for students.
Divisional Administrative Expectations
- Remain current in discipline and instructional methods through professional development activities offered by the College and other opportunities, including attendance at off-campus activities, webinars, etc., as approved.
- Assist department head with program and curriculum reviews.
- Serve on and actively contribute to college committees as assigned.
- Participate in campus activities.
- Participate in discipline, departmental, divisional, and institutional meetings and other announced co-curricular activities of the College.
- Maintain regular, professional communication within the college and affiliated industry contacts.
- Maintain posted office and on-campus hours sufficient to fulfill all contracted duties and individual professional obligations and meet the needs of the discipline, department, division, and College.
- Support all functions of the College, including compliance with all facets of the College's policies.
Other Duties Specific to this Position
- Assist the AVP in managing the divisional budget by regularly monitoring the status of expenditures and implementing inventory control methods.
- Work with program heads to establish and maintain an effective advisory committee in support of the divisional programs
How to Apply
Job Post Contact
Human Resources Technician
Stanly Community College
141 College Dr.
Albemarle, NC 28001