Department Chair for applied Technologies/ Program Head Mechatronics
VGCC South Campus in Creedmoor, NC
Closes: Wednesday, May 31, 2023
Target Start Date
Expected Work Hours
- Associate degree in an Engineering Technologies, Advanced Manufacturing or a related discipline
- Minimum of Five years industry experience
- Proficient in various computer programs such as Microsoft and Excel
- Teaching experience
- Two plus years supervisory experience
- Bachelor’s Degree in Engineering Technologies or a related discipline
Under the supervision of the appropriate academic dean and in accordance with the overall plan of Vance-Granville Community College, the principal purpose of the blended department chair and program head position is to provide direct oversight for the supervision, design, planning, organization, and efficient operation of the disciplines/programs and faculty within their assigned department.
This is a hybrid position with both remote and on campus requirements. This position is assigned to the VGCC SouthCampus in Creedmoor, NC; although, some travel to other counties in the college’s service area is possible. Consistent with VGCC’s Teleworking Policy, this position is eligible for up to 2 days per week of telework after the first 6 months of employment.
The following listing of essential job duties indicates the general nature and level of work required in this job. This is not a comprehensive listing of all the activities, duties, or responsibilities that may be required in this job. Individuals assigned to this job may be asked to perform other duties. To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential duties and responsibilities of the job.
- Oversee multiple disciplines/programs and directly supervise assigned faculty (full-time and part-time)
- Assists in the selection, orientation, and supervision of new full-time and part-time faculty at all campus locations.
- Investigate, develop, and apply for new disciplines/programs according to college and NCCCS requirements and standards
- Ensure SACSCOC compliance and assist with SACSCOC documents to include coordination, development and assessment of program outcomes and Student Learning Outcomes and uses these results to make program or other instructional improvements.
- Coordinates all instructional activities within the department to include but not be limited to:
- Developing core course syllabi and ongoing maintenance to ensure that syllabi are current and forwarded to academic dean for approval and posting to the department’s network folder and Adjunct Faculty Portal.
- Preparing semester class schedules in collaboration with all constituents served.
- Selecting and requisitioning of textbooks and related materials for all campuses and related entities such as the LRC and bookstore.
- Making recommendations to the academic dean concerning the development and expansion of courses and/or the program and the supervision of any expansion.
- Encouraging and supporting innovative teaching techniques among faculty.
- Performs maintenance and effects minor repairs on training equipment and various machines in the lab.
- Maintains software licenses for various educational software and online services needed for instructing students.
- Create, evaluate, and implement recruiting activities within the assigned departments.
- Engage and maintain community relationships in furtherance of the College’s stated mission.
- Coordinates and participates in activities with Student Services, Student Learning and Success, and Enrollment and Outreach in the recruitment, screening and selection of students for the program/department.
- Collaborate with other areas of the college including Continuing Education and other academic divisions to promote student success and increase student opportunities.
- Monitor all disciplines/programs within the department for changes at the NCCCS level (i.e. changes in the CCL, Curriculum Standards, etc.)
- Address and resolve student and employee issues as part of the chain of command for complaints and/or appeals as well as for employee performance issues
- Maintains assigned teaching responsibilities.
- Responsible for regularly reviewing and reconciling fiscal budgets within the department including but not limited to:
- Submit requisitions and maintain inventory for supplies, equipment, books, repairs, etc.
- Plan for, request, and disburse operational, travel, and other funds legally, responsibly, and fairly within given budget limitations.
- Assist in program review processes; ensure successful accreditation; and facilitate activities within the department to seamlessly integrate department goals with all-college goals.
- Serves as an advisor to students and provides a minimum of five posted office hours per week for student conferences. During registration these hours will be extended at the discretion of the Academic Dean.
- Maintain appropriate records of course syllabi, evaluations, and schedules of staff and faculty supervised.
- Ensure instructor teaching load averages are within acceptable ranges as established by the Administrative Policies and Procedures Manual.
- Actively participate in scheduled meetings, assigned institutional committees, and college initiatives and activities.
- Demonstrates proficiency in technology required by the program area and in administrative processes as required by the college.
- Engage in a program of professional development.
- Perform all other duties as assigned by the Academic Dean.
How to Apply
Job Post Contact