Haywood Community College, 185 Freedlander Dr, Clyde, NC 28721
Closes: Friday, December 1, 2023
Target Start Date
Expected Work Hours
Associate’s degree in library information technology, information technology, or a related field from a regionally accredited college or university. Two years of professional library or IT experience.
Strong interpersonal, written/oral communication and organizational skills. Competent in Microsoft Office with strong computer skills.
Bachelor’s Degree in library information technology, information technology or a related field from a regionally accredited college or university. Previous experience within the NC Community College System or higher education setting.
Experience with common library systems and technology (OCLC, Evergreen ILS, Sirsi Dynix Workflows ILS, LibGuides, Moodle, NCLive, etc.).
Responsible for providing high quality client service to library patrons by assisting with the creation of a student-centered library environment. Foster collaboration among departments by ensuring that the information systems are supporting the teaching, learning, and administrative functions of the college.
Essential Job Duties
- Supervise the library’s Technology Help Desk and provide technology assistance to students.
- Provide high-quality reference services to all faculty, staff, students and community members who request reference desk support.
- Troubleshoot library equipment and computers; provide main technology support contact within the library.
- Manage the library’s web page; prepare reports as required.
- Create, update, and maintain digital learning resources and tutorial videos in support of library research instruction.
- Demonstrate broad knowledge of information resources including electronic databases and other digital platforms.
- Work in collaboration with Library Director to maintain and develop technology resource inventory.
- Develop and revise appropriate instructional and support materials.
- Participate in activities that advance professional competencies and teaching skills.
- Assist with the periodic evaluation, assessment, and planning of library program functions and strategic plan.
- Utilize appropriate data collection policy and procedures, filing systems, data management systems, and programs.
- Provide one-on-one instruction in research techniques and strategies.
- Work closely with faculty to provide appropriate research skill instruction.
- Display willingness and ability to learn new software, specifically library focused.
- Work closely with College IT Department to solve IT related problems
- Demonstrates broad knowledge of information resources including electronic databases and digital learning media.
- Ensures physical, virtual and intellectual access to information resources.
- Assist with the periodic evaluation, assessment, and planning of the library program functions and strategic plan.
- Develops and revises appropriate instructional and support materials.
- Uphold the standards and criteria for community college libraries set forth by accrediting agencies that impact the college’s academic and professional programs.
- May operate college-owned vehicles.
- Ensure a Student-Centered Environment within the library.
- Interact with students, the public, the community, and co-workers in a cooperative, courteous, and professional manner.
- Serve on appropriate committees and teams as assigned.
- Work collaboratively to solve interdepartmental issues.
- Represent the College in local, regional, state-wide, and national library organizations.
- Perform additional duties as needed that may not be specified in this job description when requested by the Director or Vice President of Instruction.
How to Apply
The following is necessary for consideration:
- Official Haywood Community College employment application online found at our jobs page: https://www.schooljobs.com/careers/haywoodedu. Please call Beverly Balliot with any questions or if you are unable to complete the online application for any reason.
- The application must be complete for consideration - do not reference resume. A resume is suggested but does not take the place of any questions or details that you need to provide in order to be qualified for the position. Unofficial transcripts must be included for the application process. Most unofficial transcripts can be downloaded from college/university websites. Official transcripts of all secondary education must be submitted to Human Resources within 10 days of any offer of employment.
- References may not be a current HCC employee. Candidates must provide three professional references with email addresses. At least one reference must be a current or previous supervisor.
- College screening committee is responsible for application review, interviews, and recommends the candidate to HR. Upon completion of the hire process in HR, President approval is required in the hire of a candidate.
- HCC is a tobacco free campus
Haywood Community College provides equal employment opportunities to all employees and applicants for employment without regard to race, religion, color, national origin, sex, gender, gender identity, sexual orientation, age, disability, genetic information, political affiliation or status as a covered veteran in accordance with all applicable federal, state and local laws. Upon request, the College will make reasonable accommodations for qualified individuals with disabilities so that they may be able to perform the essential functions of their job unless doing so would result in an undue burden for the College.
Haywood Community College (HCC) is part of the North Carolina Community College System and is accredited by the Southern Association of Colleges & Schools Commission on Colleges (SACSCOC). Founded in 1965, it is an open-door institution with the mission to foster an environment that meets the educational needs of the communities it serves, promotes student success in higher education and in the workplace, and facilitates economic development. This includes programs for Haywood County high school students through Career and College Promise and Haywood Early College. The college campus, a designated arboretum, boasts one of the most beautiful college campuses in the state with an iconic mill pond, a productive greenhouse, dahlia gardens, an orchard garden and a rhododendron garden.