Closes: Friday, July 12, 2019
Target Start Date
Expected Work Hours
Bachelor’s degree from an accredited college or university with major course work in education or a related field
• Four years responsible experience in classroom instruction and/or educational administration
• Three years of supervisory experience is required
• Possession of, or ability to obtain a valid NC driver’s license with driving record that is within the parameters set by the college
Master’s degree in adult education or education administration
Experience in administering standardized testing
To direct, manage, supervise, and coordinate various basic skills programs and activities including ABE, AHS, ESL, HSE, HRD, and NCRC within the Continuing Education Department; to coordinate assigned activities with other college departments, divisions, and outside agencies; and to provide highly responsible and complex administrative support to the Dean of Continuing Education.
Assume management responsibility for community outreach services and activities of various testing and basic skills programs and activities including ABE, AHS, ESL, HSE, HRD, and NCRC.
• Manage and participate in the development and implementation of goals, objectives, policies, and priorities for assigned programs including various testing and basic skills, occupational extension, human resource development and national career readiness certification programs; recommend, within departmental policy, appropriate service and staffing levels; recommend and administer policies and procedures.
• Continuously monitor and evaluate the efficiency and effectiveness of service delivery methods and procedures; assess and monitor work load, administrative and support systems, and internal reporting relationships; identify opportunities for improvement and review with the Dean of Continuing Education; implement improvements.
• Select, train, motivate and evaluate assigned personnel; provide or coordinate staff training; work with employees to correct deficiencies; implement discipline and termination procedures.
• Plan, direct, coordinate, and review the work plan for various testing and basic skills occupational extension, human resource development and national career readiness certification programs; meet with staff to identify and resolve problems; assign work activities, projects and programs; monitor work flow; review and evaluate work products, methods and procedures.
• Manage and participate in the development and administration of the testing and basic skills program annual budget; direct the forecast of funds needed for staffing, equipment, materials, and supplies; direct the monitoring of and approve expenditures; direct and implement adjustments as necessary.
• Serve as liaison for testing and basic skills, occupational extension, human resource development, and national career readiness certification programs with other college departments, divisions and outside agencies including prisons; negotiate and resolve significant and controversial issues.
• Provide responsible staff assistance to the Dean of Continuing Education; prepare and present staff reports and other necessary correspondence.
• Conduct a variety of organizational studies, investigations, and operational studies; recommend modifications to continuing education programs, policies, and procedures as appropriate.
• Ensure that various State licensing and certifications requirements are met.
• Create and implement career pathways for current students and ensure graduates transition to post-secondary education and training.
• Collaborate with CE and CUS to provide clear transitional pathways for students at the college.
• Oversee and participate in the assessment of students to determine course needs to graduate; oversee and participate in the examination of transcripts and other documents as appropriate.
• Counsel students and parents on student assessment and options available for the learning process; assist students in establishing goals and planning for their attainment.
• Coordinate and develop basic skills, occupational extension, human resource development and national career readiness certification classes in a business and industry, or correctional facilities setting; oversee classes to ensure adherence to mandated regulations.
• Oversee the testing of students in various locations within state and federal guidelines.
• Plan and coordinate basic skills, occupational extension, human resource development and national career readiness certification instructor workshops; make presentations at various meetings and workshops on continuing education basic skills programs.
• Oversee and participate in the preparation and development of class materials including rationale, syllabus, outlines, and lesson plans.
• Recruit, interview, evaluate and hire instructors for the basic skills, occupational extension, human resource development and national career readiness certification programs; develop and draft instructor contracts and necessary materials for continuing education instructors; review and approve travel requests.
• Collect and submit registration forms, fees, class rosters, pay and attendance sheets and other documentation as required; participate in pre-registration and registration as necessary.
• Participate in the development of advertising activities for continuing education programs.
• Assess material, supply, and equipment needs for the testing and basic skills continuing education program; submit requisitions for the ordering of supplies; maintain an inventory of equipment and supplies.