- Instructional (Faculty)
Closes: Wednesday, July 6, 2022
Target Start Date
Expected Work Hours
- Master’s Degree
- Experience working as an advisor in a higher education setting.
- Excellent interpersonal and organizational skills and attention to detail.
- Creative problem-solving, conflict resolution and decision-making skills.
- Effective and excellent oral and written communication skills.
- Ability to work with a diverse student/staff population
Master’s degree in advising, counseling, higher education administration, leadership, student development, or a related field.
In accordance with the organizational chart and overall plan of Vance-Granville Community College, the Director of Advising and College Success reports to the Dean of Students, Equity, Retention and Success and is responsible for the overall advising program and college success course (ACA).
The following listing of essential job duties indicates the general nature and level of work required in this job. This is not designed to be a comprehensive listing of all the activities, duties, or responsibilities that may be required in this job. Individuals assigned to this job may be asked to perform other duties as required. To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential duties and responsibilities of the job.
- Plan, develop, implement and evaluate an advising program for all students which includes overseeing academic advising and college success courses (ACA)
- Use data to assign and evaluate caseloads of students for academic advising
- Collaborate with deans to oversee and evaluate all academic advising
- Manage an appropriate caseload of student to ensure persistence and progression towards their academic and career goals
- Teach assigned ACA courses
- Ensures confidentiality of students’ education records in compliance with FERPA
- Collaborate with program heads and department chairs to develop best practices using AVISO
- Collaborate with the Director of Admissions and Enrollment Services to develop and implement recruitment/outreach strategies for the academic advisors to participate
- Oversee Academic Advisor’s usage of AVISO while partnering with the Dean of Students, Equity, Retention and Success who will remain the overall lead
- Ensure AVSIO is used as a retention tool working closely with academic advising and faculty to proactively identify at-risk students and provide necessary follow-up
- Make data informed recommendations concerning overall advising and faculty concerning AVSIO
- Provide ongoing training for academic advising and faculty concerning AVISO
- Provide direction for all academic advising activity as related to student success
- Provide ongoing professional development training for existing and new academic advisors to include online training and seated workshops
- Assist in developing and updating advising information listed on the website
- Create and maintains written operations manual that documents and standardizes college practices for advising
- Create and manage databases and spreadsheets that support the operations of the department as well as generate necessary reports
- Complete assessments to determine student learning outcomes/advising program goals
- Provide support for all college wide strategic initiatives as it relates to student success
- Work variable schedule if needed, including evenings and/or weekends
- Promote holistic advising that supports equitable outcomes and students as the work toward achieving their personal, academic and career goals
- Participate in VGCC ad-hoc teams and/or committees as requested
- Perform other duties as assigned by the Dean of Students, Equity, Retention and Success and/or Vice President of Learning, Student Engagement and Success.
- Normal office environment including sitting and/or standing for prolonged periods.
- Duties may require intermittent light physical effort in carrying, lifting, or moving lightweight materials or equipment (up to 20 pounds)
How to Apply
Job Post Contact