Director of Center for Teaching and Learning
Closes: Monday, October 17, 2022
Target Start Date
Expected Work Hours
Education and Experience Required:
- Bachelor’s Degree in Education, Education Technology, Instructional Design or a teaching field.
- Six years of academic administrative experience in an institution of higher education. Online teaching experience is required.
Education and Experience Preferred:
- Master’s Degree in Education, Education Technology, Instructional Design or teaching field.
- Six years of academic administrative experience in institution of higher education. Faculty development & training experience and in a distance learning program administration experience.
Specifically, this position is responsible for providing leadership and support for course design, course delivery, and emerging technologies, regardless of modality, for instructors through various forms of professional development. Facilitate faculty development for new initiatives to promote student learning, student equity, and student success.
This position is assigned to the VGCC Main Campus in Henderson, NC; although, some travel to other counties in the college’s service area is possible. Consistent with VGCC’s Teleworking Policy, this position is eligible for up to 3 day per week of telework after the first 6 months of employment.
The following listing of essential job duties indicates the general nature and level of work required in this job. This is not designed to be a comprehensive listing of all the activities, duties, or responsibilities that may be required in this job. Individuals assigned to this job may be asked to perform other duties as required. To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential duties and responsibilities of the job.
- Provides direction to, supervises and evaluates the departmental staff.
- Responsible for the effective implementation of all learning technologies.
- Works with faculty with implementing instructional methods and best practices for teaching and learning.
- Works with Academic Deans, Directors and Program Heads to promote distance education and assists, as needed, in developing online programs of study.
- Manages the administration of VGCC’s LMS, related electronic tools and processes including; LMS upgrades, maintenance, trouble shooting, and technical support for students, faculty, and staff.
- Communicates with the North Carolina Community College System Distance Learning office and eLearning Technology vendors for technology solutions and works with the regional Teaching and Learning hub.
- Partners with Academic Deans, Directors and Program Heads regarding faculty development, online course audits, and curricular assessment.
- Ensures that technical assistance is provided to faculty/staff using eLearning software tools in the development of online course content.
- Manages the development of training documentation for students, faculty and staff on VGCC’s LMS and other online technologies.
- Participates in the strategic planning for the Center for Teaching and Learning and Distance Education areas.
- Promotes a campus culture that values and recognizes the importance of teaching excellence, student learning, and effective teaching practices.
- Works with the Vice President of Institutional Research and Technology to develop distance education policies and procedures and related reports, maintains documents to ensure that VGCC is in compliance with Southern Association of Colleges and Schools (SACS), Higher Education Opportunity Act (HEOA), Department of Education (DOE), Southern Regional Board of Education (SREB), and any other Federal and State requirements.
- Supports outreach, awareness, marketing, and collaboration by participating on assigned College committees; in local, state, and professional organizations, and representing the College at professional conferences and workshops.
- Develops and maintains the goals and objectives of the department in support of the College’s institutional goals.
- Oversees planning, reporting, and assessment of departmental resources and services.
- Ensures the incorporation of Americans with Disabilities Act (ADA), Quality Matters, Universal Design, and Association of College and University Educators (ACUE) in course design.
- Prepares and administers the department budget; evaluates and approves requests for all department-level expenditures.
- Performs other duties as assigned.
- Light work that includes moving objects up to 30 pounds.
- Sedentary work that primarily involves sitting/standing.
How to Apply
Job Post Contact