- Instructional (Faculty)
Closes: Thursday, February 29, 2024
Target Start Date
Expected Work Hours
- Associate degree in Building Construction Technology, Construction Management, Business Administration, or a closely related field
- Five years of experience in the construction industry
- Supervisory and management skills
- Basic business management skills, including budget management and marketing.
- NC General Contractor’s license or have the required qualifications and a willingness to obtain one within one year of hire.
- Bachelor’s degree in construction management or a closely related field.
- Community college experience
- Two years of experience in vocational training
- NCCER certifications
- OSHA safety training
Plan, organize, and direct the instructional and administrative activities of the Construction Trades department, including curriculum and continuing education programs in carpentry, plumbing, electrical, and other building construction trades. Provide program leadership that will ensure safe, high-quality training programs and ensure that Construction Trades programs work efficiently on joint projects. Coordinate assigned activities with other areas within the College and maintain positive relationships with external partners. This position also serves as the Program Head of Construction Management and reports directly to the Dean of Advanced Manufacturing, Industry, and Trades.
ESSENTIAL JOB FUNCTIONS:
- Teach program material via seated and online classes as required by the schedule.
- Learn new material to keep up with changing technology.
- Facilitate regular and substantive interaction via proactive communication with students.
- Participate in recruiting for new students.
- Ensure classrooms, labs, and lab equipment are in good repair and maintain a safe environment for students and employees.
- Serve as a mentor to students in your area of expertise.
- Represent the department within the College and community as the primary point of contact with enthusiasm.
- Provide supervision to other faculty teaching within the department.
- Coordinate advisory boards, program updates, offerings, and scheduling of courses for the department.
- Supervise construction trades programs and faculty and assist and advise the Dean to insure instructional excellence.
- Coordinate all departmental schedules.
- In coordination with the Associate Vice President and Dean, approve travel, leave requests, departmental textbooks, equipment, supplies and materials.
- Evaluate each construction trades faculty member on a yearly basis in coordination with the Dean.
- Ensure that programs and courses are up to date, abreast of technology, and in compliance with state and national accreditation standards.
- Encourage construction trades personnel to participate in Professional Development seminars/workshops related to technical skills, teaching, equity, etc.
- Participate in the development, implementation, and evaluation of policies utilized by each curriculum.
- Provide supervision to construction trades faculty for maintenance/safety of equipment and labs.
- Recruit, interview, and recommend the appointment of construction trades faculty, full-time and adjunct, to the Dean and Associate Vice President and provide appropriate orientation.
- Submit all hiring documents and verification of credentials for all construction trades faculty when applicable.
- Assist construction trades faculty in course planning, instructional delivery, and classroom management.
- Prepare a master schedule of course offerings each semester that meets the needs of the departmental programs and the students.
- Work with Dean to assign teaching schedules for construction trades faculty within workload policy guidelines.
- Supervise and evaluate the operation of all classes and construction trades faculty in accordance with policy, including classroom observations.
- Resolve student grievances with faculty as needed.
- Facilitate the communication of divisional, departmental, and/or college information to construction trades faculty, both full-time and adjunct, via meetings, emails, etc., as needed.
- Communicate faculty needs to the Dean and Associate Vice President.
- Encourage sound educational practices and student engagement.
- Manage and resolve any conflict within the construction trades area.
- Create and monitor employee performance improvement plans (PIPs), when warranted.
- Facilitate the selection and submission of orders for textbooks.
- Review, evaluate, and assess departmental goals, annual plans, student learning outcomes, and course offerings periodically, facilitating innovation in curricular and instructional development in keeping with the mission and vision of the College.
- Recommend appropriate revisions to the program of study, course objectives, and other departmental program information to the Dean and Associate Vice President.
- Ensure each departmental program is in full compliance with the requirements for accreditation, certification, and other standards as stipulated by NCCCS, SACSCOC, NCCER, OSHA, and any other related agencies and organizations.
- Develop and maintain productive relationships with agencies and organizations within the community/industry which are pertinent to the construction trades programs and to prospective graduates.
- Collaborate with the Dean to conduct advisory committee meetings. Maintain minutes of the advisory committees and follow through on recommendations.
- Recommend departmental needs for personnel, equipment, supplies, facilities, and other resources during the annual planning process to the Dean and Associate Vice President.
- Coordinate the requisition of resources and services, including equipment, supplies, facilities, and other materials required for the effective delivery of instruction.
- Verify and submit travel requests and reimbursements of faculty for approval.
- Monitor the status of expenditures and implement inventory control methods.
- Teach all assigned courses (15 to 18 contact hours per semester).
- Ensure that each class session contains essential curricular components, incorporates appropriate content and pedagogy, and is relevant to current events/trends.
- As needed, teach classes online, on-campus, and/or at off-campus sites.
- Teach an academic success class as needed.
- Evaluate student progress and provide appropriate, timely feedback.
- Maintain regular, appropriate, professional communication with students.
- Incorporate appropriate instructional technology to enhance student learning.
- Ensure cleanliness of instructional areas and laboratories.
- Ensure the proper operation of classroom/lab equipment, reporting any malfunctions to the appropriate person(s).
- Coordinate the evaluation and acquisition of instructional materials, audiovisual aids, support, and equipment needs.
- Develop and distribute course syllabi according to the established template and guidelines, providing appropriate information to students concerning course expectations, evaluation criteria, and access to student services.
Other Services to Students
- Maintain appropriate accessibility for students, including a minimum of five office hours a week.
- Serve as educational mentor to assigned students by providing academic and employment planning.
- Maintain regular, appropriate, professional communication with students.
- Participate in semester advising and registration activities as assigned.
- Verify graduation degree audits as assigned.
- Assist in the recruitment and retention efforts of the College.
- Advocate and provide motivation for students.
Departmental Administrative Expectations
- Prepare and submit instructional records, reports, grades, and all other required paperwork in a timely, efficient manner meeting all deadlines, checking for accuracy, correctness, and completeness of all data.
- Remain current in discipline and instructional methods through professional development activities offered by the College and other opportunities, including attendance at off-campus activities, webinars, etc., as approved.
- Facilitate program and curriculum reviews.
- Serve on and actively contribute to college committees as assigned.
- Participate in campus activities.
- Participate in discipline, departmental, divisional, and institutional meetings, and other announced co-curricular activities of the College.
- Maintain regular, professional communication within the college and affiliated industry contacts.
- Maintain posted office and on-campus hours sufficient to fulfill all contracted duties and individual professional obligations and meet the needs of the discipline, department, division, and College.
- Support all functions of the College, including compliance with all facets of the College's policies.
Other Duties Specific to this Position
- Work with construction trades faculty to establish and maintain effective advisory committees in support of the departmental programs.
- Coordinate joint projects involving the construction trades programs such as tiny home construction, Habitat for Humanity projects, etc.
Required Position Training to be completed in the first year of hire:
- Colleague/Datatel Training
- Dropout Detective Training
- Canvas Training
- Self-Service Training
- Advising Training
- Policy/Procedure Training
- Onboarding Training
- School Dude
- Leadership Training
How to Apply
Job Post Contact
Human Resources Specialist
Stanly Community College
141 College Dr.
Albemarle, NC 28001