Closes: Friday, August 16, 2019
Target Start Date
Expected Work Hours
- Master’s degree from a regionally accredited institution in counseling, psychology, or closely related field required.
- Three years’ experience in higher education, academic advisement, and counseling required.
- Skill in establishing and maintaining effective working relationships within the College and community, ability to manage multiple projects in a timely manner, and skill in presenting ideas and concepts verbally and in writing required.
- Licensure as counselor preferred.
- Coursework or training in administration, management, or supervision preferred.
- Two years’ experience in an administrative leadership position or comparable evidence of leadership and supervisory responsibilities preferred.
Open until filled - review of applications will begin 7/30/19
Provide leadership, management, supervision, and evaluation for counseling and advising services. Services include career counseling, personal counseling, crisis intervention, accessibility/disability services, advising for new students and pre-health majors. Works with community partners and third-party vendors to provide counseling and support for students. In partnership with academic affairs, provide advising to students intending to transfer to four-year institutions. Responsible for maintaining and updating New Student Orientation.
Duties and Responsibilities
- Provide leadership, management, supervision, and evaluation for counseling and advising services. Services include career counseling, personal counseling, crisis intervention, accessibility/disability services, advising for new students and pre-health majors.
- In partnership with academic affairs, coordinate and provide advising to students intending to transfer to four-year institutions.
- Works with community partners and third-party vendors to provide counseling and support services to students. Serve as the main point of contact for the Student Outreach Service (SOS) program.
- Maintain positive relationships and collaborate with faculty and staff to provide support for students in crisis or in need of counseling and or advising services.
- Responsible for maintaining and updating New Student Orientation.
- Assist in planning and implementing strategies to promote student success and satisfactory academic progress, support groups, classroom presentations, student success seminars, etc.
- Work collaboratively with various other departments including Admissions and Educational Partnerships, Records and Registration, Financial Aid, Persistence and Retention, and other areas of the College to support enrollment management and related efforts that complement student recruitment and retention.
- Plan, implement, and evaluate goals and objectives as well as policies and procedures related to the assigned areas of responsibility.
- Manage fiscal, operational, and human resources, including staff needs, equipment, and operational expenses. Coordinate the assessment and analysis of budget needs; revise the budget as necessary and monitor expenditures.
- Provide administrative assistance to executive management on matters related to areas of responsibility; prepare and present reports and recommendations as requested. Prepare reports relative to individual and departmental productivity level, institutional effectiveness, and accreditation standards.
- Supervise assigned personnel, which includes work allocation, training, and problem resolution; conduct performance appraisals, and manage performance through coaching and accountability; make recommendations for professional growth and development, and propose personnel actions up to and including recommendations for discipline.
- Actively participate in the hiring and selection of full- and part-time positions in the areas of responsibility and ensure that all applicable credentialing requirements are met; provide orientation of new staff.
- Review and process requests for equipment repair, travel, supply purchases, and reimbursements.
- Participate in a variety of committees, task forces, and meetings.
- Ensure compliance with all policies and procedures of the College, NC Community College System, and applicable state and federal guidelines.
- Maintain and correctly manage confidential information in accordance with FERPA regulations.
- Maintain a high standard of professionalism in representing the College including confidentiality in all aspects of the position’s responsibilities and adherence to policies, procedures, and other established guidelines.Adhere to professional accountability and accept responsibility for managing situations and problems.
- Work cooperatively with team members and colleagues, contributing positively and constructively to the achievement of team and College objectives and provide a high level of service to customers by establishing and maintaining effective working relationships and partnerships.
- Perform other related duties as assigned.
How to Apply
Job Post Contact