Closes: Monday, January 24, 2022
Target Start Date
Expected Work Hours
Bachelor’s degree from a regionally accredited institution coursework in counseling, education, business or related field required.
Required Work Experience:
Minimum of 3 years experience working in a Financial Aid office in a post secondary school system or community college.
Master’s degree from a regionally accredited institution in counseling, education, business or related field.
Preferred Work Experience:
• Demonstrated work experience in financial aid.
• Experience working with Federal and State student financial aid programs. Experience in managing college/university electronic financial aid systems, Department of Education financial aid regulations and an understanding of financial aid principles.
• Demonstrated ability to initiate and utilize Colleague in the delivery, tracking and evaluation of financial aid programs
• Demonstrated knowledge of record keeping and privacy regulations.
Under the direction of the Vice President of Administrative Services, the Director of Financial Aid works cooperatively with BCCC faculty and staff.
• Responsible for administering, managing, and evaluating all operations and activities with the college’s financial aid department. Provide leadership, direction and training to the Financial Aid staff. Responsible for the administration of financial aid and veteran assistance.
• Formulates, recommends, and implements plans for financial aid and veteran services to students. Coordinates all financial aid activities from application inquiry to application approval for all students.
• Develops support throughout the College for the development of rules, policies and procedures that accommodate the special needs and problems of the veteran and financial aid student population.
• Leads departmental planning processes to improve services.
• Leads Financial Aid Staff in the automation of processes and workflows to improve services.
• Compile data and review financial aid and veteran educational assistance applications, including need analysis and Pell Grant applications. Ensure timely and accurate awarding, authorization, and disbursement of financial aid.
• Work closely with the Business Office with financial aid accounts, disbursements, and regulatory obligations. Ensures accurate and timely disbursements, accurate and time Return to Title IV requirements, and all other federal regulations required of the College.
• Maintains a record system and counseling component which identifies the needs of, services rendered, and training time for each financial aid recipient and veteran.
• Manage and monitor the satisfactory academic progress for financial aid students. Monitors grade point averages, attendance, courses, and progress for financial aid recipients and veterans.
• Initiates and maintains correspondence with the financial aid recipients, covering all aspects of financial aid services.
• Compiles, edits, and writes requests for funds, submits operating reports, and other periodic reports requested by the state and federal government. Provide reports and analyses to the Vice President of Student Services and other college officers as appropriate.
• Communicates with prospective students, appropriate secondary school personnel, and service agencies in the community regarding Financial Aid services. Counsel students on financial aid issues ensuring quality services to the students, families, and other constituents.
• Develop financial aid trainings and presentations to the college and local community.
• Ensures annual compliance of the institution with federal regulations mandated in the Federal Register. Maintains compliance with established standards from regional, state and federal agencies.
• Interpret federal regulations, guidelines and professional literature on financial aid; inform the college community of changes, modifications and interpretations resulting from new or current legislation. Assumes responsibility for the integrity of financial aid ensuring that policies are updated regularly and that internal controls are enforced.
• Develops, implements and monitors a program to select, screen and track institutional and local scholarship recipients.
• Implements and maintains electronic communication with the Department of Education, and other agencies as needed, including submitting and receiving aid applications, corrections, payment data, Title IV Fiscal Operations Report and Application of Funds (FISAP) and other records through the Electronic Data Exchange program.
• Develop and maintain a comprehensive policy and procedures manual for the Financial Aid Office.
• Responsible for ensuring the security and confidentiality of student information and records. Ability to understand, articulate, and abide by laws that protect the confidentiality of student information and records.
• Serve on appropriate college committees as requested.
• Participate in professional development activities designed to enhance job skills and knowledge, as agreed upon by the employee and supervisor.
• Interact with students, the public, the community, and co-workers in a cooperative, courteous and professional manner.
• Comply with the college’s policies and procedures as outlined in the Policies and Procedures Manual
• Perform related duties and responsibilities, as assigned by supervisor.
• Knowledge of Federal financial aid software, regulations, and reconciliation procedures.
• Must have demonstrated ability to interact and communicate effectively with a variety of individuals (such as students, parents, faculty, and staff).
• Dynamic leadership abilities and strong public relations skills.
• Excellent verbal and written skills including the ability to communicate clearly and effectively with diverse groups of people.
• Ability to manage multiple activities at once and prioritize effectively.
• Ability to maintain a high level of confidentiality.
• Demonstrated organizational skills and interpersonal skills.
• Ability to thoroughly assess needs of individuals and exercise good judgment in decision making.
• Proficiency with Microsoft Word and Excel required.
• Demonstrated ability to work both independently and as an effective team member.