133 James Sprunt Dr. Kenansville, NC 28439
Closes: Wednesday, June 12, 2019
Target Start Date
Expected Work Hours
MINIMUM QUALIFICATIONS: KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS AND ABILITIES:
The requirements listed below are representative of the knowledge, skills and abilities required to satisfactorily perform the essential duties and responsibilities.
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities:
- Proficiently operate a computer and related software, such as Microsoft word and excel.
- Use active listening skills.
- Ability to be proactive, anticipate problems, and try to solve them independently.
- Be a team player.
- Demonstrate integrity (honesty, trustworthiness, high moral values).
- Ability to maintain a professional demeanor in a fast-paced environment.
- Skill in organizing, planning, and coordinating meetings and travel arrangements.
- Ability to show initiative and self-direction as well as communicate professionally across a variety of constituent groups.
- Proven ability to concurrently address issues of various levels of complexity.
- Ability to maintain complete confidentiality regarding personal employee matters, applicant and/or employee information.
- Ability to interpret and apply policies and procedures of the College as well as other governing bodies.
- Ability to build rapport and gain trust from employees.
- Ability to communicate effectively verbally and in writing.
- Strong computation skills.
- Demonstrated organizational skills and the ability to prioritize tasks and meet deadlines
- Ability to work both independently and in a team, or with limited supervision.
- Superior interpersonal and team oriented aptitude.
- Ability to perform multiple tasks at the same time.
NOTE: THIS POSITION REQUIRES UNOFFICIAL COPIES OF YOUR TRANSCRIPT(S) BE SUBMITTED IN ADDITION TO THE APPLICATION IN ORDER TO QUALIFY. TRANSCRIPTS MUST CLEARLY SHOW "DATE AWARDED" OR "DATE CONFERRED" TO BE ACCEPTABLE. PLEASE HAVE THESE DOCUMENTS READY TO UPLOAD WHEN APPLYING.
Any combination of education and experience that demonstrates possession of the requisite knowledge, skill and abilities.
Required: Bachelor's Degree in Human Resources, Business Administration, Public Administration or related field.
Preferred: Master's Degree in Human Resources, Business Administration, Public Administration or related field. Professional Certification by the Society for Human Resource Management Preferred. Bilingual; Career Readiness Certificate (CRC)
Required: Considerable (2-4 years) experience at mid-level or higher administration in human resources management or closely related field.
Preferred: Extensive (5 or more years) experience at mid-level or higher administration in human resources management or closely related field. Some administrative experience in a community college. Experience with Personnel Law specific to NC Community Colleges. Experience in administering compensation plans.
To direct, manage, supervise, and coordinate the programs and activities of the human resource function including recruitment and selection, classification, compensation, group benefits administration and personnel records. This position reports to the Vice President of College Advancement and Human Resources.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
This list is meant to be representative, not exhaustive. Some incumbents may not perform all the duties listed while in other cases related duties may also be assigned. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
• Manage front-end payroll process for the college, supervising all data changes for payroll.
• Manage the college's employment process regarding staffing, organizational realignments, legal issues, training, and compensation.
• Manage creation, editing, and security of all employee personnel records; maintain and secure all confidential records for college related to employment legal issues, grievances, reprimands, etc.
• Serve as mediator in employee relations. Look to resolve employee conflict with the least course of disciplinary action necessary in order to accomplish a positive result.
• Prepare and maintain personnel department's budget; review and approve expenditures; approve budget changes.
• Coordinate and update the JSCC Employee Handbook.
• Coordinate with the Director of Public Safety the institution's health and safety plan; prepare reports for OSHA, and worker's compensation program.
• Assist the Vice President of College Advancement & Human Resources in monitoring risk management and providing an adequate insurance program for the physical plant and college-owned vehicles, and administer such programs as may be authorized for trustees, faculty and staff.
• Serve as Title IX Coordinator for both Employees and Students of JSCC. Provide required training to new students each semester and to all employees on an annual basis. Ensures the College meets all compliance obligations under Title IX to include, but not limited to, the following: serve as contact for government inquiries and point person for campus complaints, provide oversight/coordination of prompt grievance procedures, conduct and supervise investigations, assure First Amendment protections, insure compliance with Section 504 regarding disabilities, create and implement Title IX related policy, prepare for compliance auditing, assure Title IX compliance with the requirement to stop, prevent and remedy, assure compliance with any final sanctions, assure the prevention and remediation of gender discrimination, sexual harassment/sexual assault, stalking, intimate partner & relationship violence, bullying & cyberbullying, and retaliation.
• Provide annual sexual harassment training to all employees to meet compliance requirements.
• Conduct thorough and detailed investigations of a complex nature regarding employee behavior and/or other employee issues and make recommendations to the Vice President of College Advancement & Human Resources and/or the President.
• Draft letters of reprimand, warnings, and non-renewals for signature by the Vice President of College Advancement & Human Resources and/or the President.
• Serve as Affirmative Action Officer; administer the College's Affirmative Action program and respond to EEOC complaints.
• Direct the operations of the College Human Resources Office to include coordination of personnel vacancy advertising, employment procedures and policies, employee benefits, evaluation procedures, new employee orientation, position descriptions, and staff development.
• Administer the College's employee classification/salary plan; work with evaluation committees on annual review and update of the plan.
• Coordinate with the Director of Public Safety to insure a safe and secure environment to include Inclement Weather Procedures, Crisis Management Plans, Disaster Recovery and Critical Incident Response Plan.
• Work with support staff and other college officials to ensure compliance with state and federal personnel policies and procedures.
• Supervise the duties of the Associate Director of Human Resources, Human Resources Generalist and Administrative Assistant. Also, supervise the duties of the Receptionist for the College as well as student workers and other part-time employees.
• Work with the Personnel Committee in development of personnel programs, benefits and resolution of personnel issues.
• Develop annual goals and objectives for the Human Resources Department.
• Coordinate the Employee Assistance Program.
• Conduct and oversee the background check and drug testing policy and procedures.
• Work with the college's general counsel on legal issues related to personnel and ensure college personnel policies and procedures meet legal requirements.
• Provide leadership in assisting the college to develop comprehensive professional development opportunities for all employees.
• Develop and present a variety of Professional Development Training to all Staff and Faculty. This includes creating the Power Point and training enhancing activities for each training session. Provide "train-the-trainer" opportunities to HR staff so they gain experience and can provide same professional development training to JSCC employees. Also, reviews and recommends Professional Development Training that can be provided to Staff and Faculty from external resources.
• Monitor hours worked by all part-time employees on a monthly basis to include Curriculum, Continuing Education and staff processed through Human Resources to determine if part-time employees are eligible for the High Deductible Health Insurance to be in compliance with the Affordable Care Act (ACA). Also, completes monthly reporting requirements to the Department of Treasury as a part of compliance requirements for ACA.
• Acquire computer/technology competencies as appropriate to position.
• Assist with equipment and software maintenance.
• Maintain security of personal computer access.
• Perform other professional or job-related duties as assigned.
• Serve on college committees.