Haywood Community College, 185 Freedlander Dr, Waynesville, NC 28721
Closes: Friday, December 3, 2021
Target Start Date
Expected Work Hours
Bachelor’s Degree in Education or related field. Demonstrated skills and progressive responsibility in instruction, technology, budget management and supervision. Excellent human relations and communication skills.
Master’s Degree in Education or related field and experience in teaching and advising students at the secondary level, knowledge of formative and summative assessment, instructional design, and strategic planning.
PRIMARY PURPOSE OF POSITION
Provide leadership for the Learning Support Services Department in keeping with the mission, vision, and values of the College. Coordinate and oversee all functions of the Learning Support Center to support and promote success of all students.
ESSENTIAL JOB DUTIES
- Provide overall leadership and management of daily operations for Learning Support Services Department which includes: Tutoring Center, Testing Center, Success and Study Skill (ACA) courses, QUEST, and Compass.
- Provide high-quality instruction for select ACA courses each term as assigned by Dean.
- Provide professional development and support for faculty advisors including electronic resources utilized in the advising process.
- Generate excellence plans and compile and manage data collection for Center reports.
- Establish short term and long-range goals in improving student success and providing academic support for students.
- Work collaboratively with campus departments to promote student success, including Student Wellness and Success Coaches.
- Establish and maintain collaborative relationships with faculty, staff, and students.
- Provide learning support workshops in reading, test taking, and study skills for students.
- Provide class visits and tours of the Learning Support Center.
- Assist with marketing of the Center, including email outreach, flyers, posters, and online.
- Provide comparable resources for online and off-campus students in addition to Center-based resources.
- Educate and supervise lab instructors (tutors) in tutoring methodologies and departmental operations and processes.
- Ensure compliance with Federal, SACSCOC, state, and local guidelines in management of functions for the Department, including required reporting for accreditation and FTE reports.
- May operate college-owned vehicles.
- Create a student-centered environment that promotes success
- Implement innovative strategies to meet the needs of students and improve processes
- Work cooperatively with faculty, staff, students, and campus community
- Communicate with students, faculty, and staff in a professional and timely manner
- Exhibit flexibility and receptivity to changing technologies, methods, processes, work environments, and organizational structure and practices
- Establish new services and enhance processes based on faculty and student feedback and Center performance data
- Develop and sustain a culture of knowledge sharing, accountability and appreciation
How to Apply
The following is necessary for consideration
- Official Haywood Community College employment application online found at our jobs page: https://www.governmentjobs.com/careers/haywoodedu. Please call Beverly Balliot with any questions or if you are unable to complete the online application for any reason.
- The application must be complete for consideration - do not reference resume. A resume is suggested but does not take the place of any questions or details that you need to provide in order to be qualified for the position. Unofficial transcripts must be included for the application process. Most unofficial transcripts can be downloaded from college/university websites. Official transcripts of all secondary education must be submitted to Human Resources within 10 days of any offer of employment.
- References may not be a current HCC employee. Candidates must provide three professional references with email addresses. At least one reference must be a current or previous supervisor.
- College screening committee is responsible for application review, interviews, and recommends the candidate to HR. Upon completion of the hire process in HR, President approval is required in the hire of a candidate.
- HCC is a tobacco free campus
HCC is an equal opportunity institution and does not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, ethnicity, national origin, gender, gender identity, sex, age, disability, genetic information and veteran status
Haywood Community College (HCC) is part of the North Carolina Community College System and is accredited by the Southern Association of Colleges & Schools Commission on Colleges (SACSCOC). Founded in 1965, it is an open-door institution with the mission to foster an environment that meets the educational needs of the communities it serves, promotes student success in higher education and in the workplace, and facilitates economic development. This includes programs for Haywood County high school students through Career and College Promise and Haywood Early College. The college campus, a designated arboretum, boasts one of the most beautiful college campuses in the state with an iconic mill pond, a productive greenhouse, dahlia gardens, an orchard garden and a rhododendron garden.