Both the OCH and LLP Campuses in Monroe and Polkton, NC
Closes: Wednesday, September 30, 2020
Target Start Date
Expected Work Hours
• Master’s degree in Library and/or Information Science (M.L.I.S. or M.L.S.) from an accredited program.
• A minimum of two years of experience that includes reference service and bibliographic instruction in an academic library.
• Proven ability to work effectively with a diverse faculty, staff and student population.
• Knowledge of library database searching, the research process, and principles of active learning as applied to information literacy, and information literacy frameworks.
• Strong commitment to digital and information literacy instruction.
• Excellent oral and written communication and presentation skills.
• Familiarity with current digital content and online services used in libraries.
• Four or more years’ experience working as a librarian.
• Administrative (supervisory) experience in a library environment
• Community college experience
The Director of Library Learning Commons is a full-time, 12-month position located on both the OCH and LLP Campuses in Monroe and Polkton, NC. Under the direction of the Associate Vice President of Academic Affairs for Student Success, the Director of the Library Learning Commons is responsible for overseeing the daily operations of two physical library learning commons, as well as other College locations and virtual services. The Director of Library Learning Commons supervises staff and leads college-wide efforts associated with digital and information literacy, access, and associated learning commons services.
• Oversee daily operations of physical, virtual, and off-site virtual Library Learning Commons services in a multi-campus community college environment.
• Hire, supervise, develop, and lead assigned Library Learning Commons staff. Conduct regular performance evaluations to ensure continuous improvement and identify potential opportunities for growth.
• Develop, establish, implement, and review policies for the selection and acquisition of materials to support the educational and informational needs of students, faculty, and academic programs, as well as administrative and support staff. Oversee collection development, resource sharing, and technical services.
• Lead college-wide efforts to integrate information and digital literacy instruction into curriculum across all educational programs.
• Promote faculty involvement with the Library Learning Commons services and curriculum.
• Collaborate with Information Technology leadership to provide the Library Learning Commons with appropriate computer technology, connectivity, and capacity to meet the needs of students and faculty. Analyze library technology to assure current hardware and software meet the needs of faculty and staff. Provide direction for the integration of new technologies into the services and operations of the library
• Address and evaluate regional accreditation compliance related to library services
• Manage assigned budgets, analyze spending trends, and approve expenditures.
• Prepare reports and evaluations of services and operations of the library learning commons
• Work both independently and collaboratively to achieve common goals.
• Maintain a department rotation schedule to include evening and weekend coverage.
• Other duties as assigned.