Sanford, North Carolina
Closes: Monday, August 10, 2020
Target Start Date
Expected Work Hours
- Master’s Degree in Library Science or Library and Information Science from an ALA accredited university, AND
- Three (3) years’ full-time professional experience in a library setting.
Required knowledge, skills and working abilities:
- Operational characteristics, services and activities of a comprehensive library.
- Principles and practice of program development and administration.
- Organizational and management practices as applied to the analysis and evaluation of programs, policies and operational needs.
- Principles and procedures of library management and administration.
- Principles of media, library science and theory.
- Current library-related technologies.
- Principles and practices of budget preparation and administration.
- Public relations and customer service practices.
- Information literacy techniques
- Manages personnel resources through motivating, training, developing, and directing people as they work.
- Strong interpersonal, oral and written communication skills.
- Proficient in database searching, Internet searching, library-related software and Microsoft Office programs.
- Proficiency in monitoring and assessing the performance of self, staff and programs to make improvements or take corrective action.
- Works effectively in a team environment with a customer service focus
- Work independently; exercise discretion and sound judgment in decision making; respond to critical matters effectively; and represent the College in a professional manner.
- Ability to prepare and maintain required reports and records.
- Establish and maintain effective working relationships with those contacted in the course of work.
- Handle confidential information with absolute discretion.
- Commitment to diversity, equity and inclusion; demonstrated ability to work effectively with a culturally diverse workforce, including those with different levels of academic preparation and varying physical and learning abilities, and socioeconomic levels.
- Academic library experience preferred.
- Supervisory experience preferred.
At Central Carolina Community College, we create transformative lifelong learning opportunities! We expect all employees to find ways to remove barriers to student success and provide all students a pathway to achievable dreams. Our employees are charged to recognize the challenges we face and to respond to them with empathy, understanding, and a willingness to help.
The Director of Library Services oversees the planning and all operations of the library, supervises and evaluates library staff performance, and works with faculty in developing library collections. The Director monitors the library budget and makes recommendations for staff, facilities, and equipment needs. The Director also markets library services and keeps faculty informed of services and resources. This position also serves as an advisor to the joint-use library on the Chatham campus and will collaborate on the upcoming joint-use library with Lee County.
Evening hours required on a weekly basis; may be required to participate in programs, committees, training conferences or other work-related activities outside of routine work hours. The position will involve occasional travel to other campuses as needed.
- Works with library staff to develop library goals, objectives, and methods for achieving the mission of the library. Evaluates the results of this process annually in Compliance Assist.
- Manages and coordinates library staff, completes performance evaluations, promotes innovative and creative ideas among staff and fosters a cohesive library workforce that provides professional assistance to all customers
- Oversees the development and delivery of library technologies that support the delivery of course content inside and outside the classroom
- Manages departmental budgets by overseeing expenditures, planning for new programming, managing staffing requirements, and reviewing vendor contracts regularly
- Monitors and provides appropriate resource materials that support a large variety of subjects and learning outcomes
- Evaluates effectiveness of existing services and identifies the needs of and creates new services that meet the demands of a diverse student and faculty population
- Promotes library services as a vital part of the college to students, faculty, and staff
- Implements and manages policies and procedures for the library while also interpreting and applying college policies and procedures on a daily basis
- Develops long-range plans and goals for the enhancement of services, resources, and facilities and ensures that those plans align with departmental goals and the college’s mission
- Actively engages faculty and staff to select appropriate materials that will update the existing library collections and electronic resources
- Develops and maintains an inventory system to ensure all books and resources are properly monitored and maintained
- Represents the library and College at meetings, conferences, and in the community in order to expand partnerships and stay current on trends and the changing roles of libraries in the collegiate setting
- Participates in appropriate committees and task forces as assigned
- Assumes responsibility for the library facilities and all library operations on the Lee and Harnett campuses.
- Serves as an advisor to the Chatham Community Library (joint-use library) for the Chatham campus students. Oversees instruction services and the development of the college's library collections for the Chatham campus. Serves on the Library Advisory Committee.
- Works with faculty and the library staff in evaluating and weeding library collections.
- Collects statistical data concerning library operations. Provides data to college administrators upon request. Completes the annual Academic Libraries Survey.
- Oversees outreach activities and services at all campus sites.
- Keeps faculty informed of available services and resources. Promotes library resources and services to students, faculty, and staff through traditional and electronic methods.
- Writes library articles for the monthly college newsletter.
- Oversees library newsletters and brochures.
- Coordinates library activities with other educational institutions and public agencies.
- Provides library instruction and orientations when needed.
- Participates in professional organizations.
- Performs other duties as assigned by the Vice President of Student Services.