Director of Marketing and Communications
Closes: Wednesday, June 7, 2023
Target Start Date
Expected Work Hours
- Bachelor’s degree in marketing, communications, or related area.
- 3-5 years of experience in public relations, marketing, integrated media, journalism, or related area.
- Masters’ degree in marketing, communications, or related area.
- Five years of experience.
Under the direction of the Executive Vice President/Chief Academic Officer, the Director of Marketing Communications is responsible for the marketing, outreach, and public information services of the College, including advertising, publicity, publications, the College website, and other activities to enhance the community's understanding of the College’s contribution to the educational and economic success of Columbus County. The Director will play a key role in establishing and reinforcing the College’s marketing message, recruiting new students, and supporting student retention efforts.
Working cooperatively with administrators, faculty, and staff, the Director of Marketing & Communications performs or causes to be performed the following functions:
- Responsible for creating, implementing, and measuring the success of a comprehensive marketing, communications and public relations program that will enhance the Organization’s image and position within the marketplace, the public, and facilitate internal and external communications.
- Coordinate’s marketing and outreach efforts college wide.
- Participates in the development, planning and implementation of a college enrollment management plan.
- Manage the strategic and creative design of Southeastern Community College marketing and communications materials college wide.
- Create and execute focused marketing and recruitment campaigns to promote enrollment.
- Create and support internal marketing campaigns focused on student retention and success.
- Responsible for editorial direction, design, production, and distribution of all college publications specifically related to marketing and advertising.
- Approves externally distributed College publications to ensure a consistent image
- Establish a unified voice and visual identity for the college.
- Ensure the college print and electronic projects are well-designed and well-written.
- Oversees the College’s electronic marketing efforts and overall presence, including the supervision of the college’s website, (5) social media platforms, text messaging and other initiatives.
- Administers ReGroup, the College’s emergency notification system.
- Collaborates with the SCC Foundation to support the marketing of fundraising activities and special events.
- Approves Foundation marketing materials.
- Coordinates appropriate media coverage of College events to include news releases, articles, videos, radio and TV advertisements, social media announcements and other informative communications.
- Spokesperson for the college with the media.
- Maintains professional contact with media, advertising, and printing/publishing personnel.
- Exercises sound judgement in the release of materials to the public and media.
- Assists with government relations activities at the request of the President.
- Provides for photos as needed for press releases and publications.
- Leads and supervises the Digital Communications Coordinator, Edu-Cable Coordinator, and Multimedia Content Specialist to ensure position requirements are met.
- Administers annual evaluation of personnel.
- Arranges attendance of team members at recruiting, fundraising and other events on behalf of SCC.
- Manages departmental budgets as determined by the Executive Vice President/Chief Academic Officer.
- Manages special project budget as determined by the Executive Vice President/Chief Academic Officer.
- Recommends short and long-term plans and budgets for the marketing and communications department and its activities.
- Manage, create, and recommend production of commercials and/or other video college content.
Other Duties Specific to the Position:
- Remains current in discipline through professional development activities offered by the College and other opportunities including but not limited to: off-campus activities, webinars, conference, etc., as approved.
- Serves on and actively contributes to college committees as assigned.
- Willing to travel and participate in events during the day, evening and on the weekends.
- Performs other duties as assigned by the Executive Vice President.
Skills and Abilities:
- Excellent oral and written communications skills.
- Strong organizational skills, ability to multi-task across numerous projects.
- Ability to work with others on teams to accomplish complex, college-wide initiatives.
- Ability to develop and implement innovative approaches to organizational challenges.
- Working knowledge of Microsoft Office Suite, Adobe Acrobat, Adobe Photoshop. InDesign and Canva, or other platforms.
- Ability to create, manage, and maintain social media accounts such as Facebook and Twitter.
- Ability to produce photographs using a digital SLR and DSLR camera.
How to Apply
The successful candidate must begin work by July 5, 2023. Starting salary will be commensurate with qualifications, experience, and labor market. Excellent references from previous employers must be furnished upon request.
A completed Southeastern Community College application form, a resume, educational transcripts (unofficial copies of transcripts may be submitted for the screening process, but official copies must be submitted prior to employment) and letter of interest addressing the position requirements must be submitted to the college Human Resources Office for applicants to be considered for this position. Initial review of applications will begin on May 31, 2023. Applications will be accepted until the position is filled.
Applicants should send all documents and inquiries to the Human Resources Office, Southeastern Community College, P.O. Box 151, Whiteville, NC 28472. Telephone (910) 642-7141, extension 310. www.sccnc.edu
An Equal Employment Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer
Job Post Contact