Closes: Sunday, April 18, 2021
Target Start Date
Expected Work Hours
Education and Experience
- Bachelor’s degree from a regionally accredited institution.
- Experience in management, administration, business consultation, marketing and promoting, and/or seminar coordination.
Knowledge, specialized skills and abilities
- Strong oral and written communication skills, excellent interpersonal skills, and management skills, particularly in planning and budgeting.
- Organizational skills, being proactive, creative and self-driven.
- Knowledge of small business practices and trends.
- Ability to work effectively with individuals, organizations, and community groups.
A master's degree from a regionally accredited institution.
The Director of the Small Business Center (SBC) provides consultation services to small businesses on a wide range of topics including marketing, retailing, advertising, budgeting, business planning, loan proposals, and personnel. Responsibilities include: identifying small business needs; coordinating and implementing seminars and continuing education classes; evaluating SBC activities; providing quality counseling; and networking with business leaders, advisory groups, as well as local, state, and federal agencies to promote economic growth, innovation, and expansion within the small business community. The Director will oversee the operational budget, submit accurate reports, and assist with projects/activities that support the college’s mission.
- Provides quality business and economic development assistance to the small business community by coordinating the resources of the college with federal, state, and local governments.
- Manages the daily operations of the SBC by establishing program goals and objectives, identifying priorities, determining resource allocation, and completing a program evaluation.
- Prepares the grant proposal which describes all proposed SBC activities, staffing needs, required forms, and appropriate documentation.
- Establishes cooperative relationships with business and industry leaders to identify and evaluate business training objectives.
- Meets grant requirements by developing an annual schedule of consultation and training activities, monitoring progress towards established goals, and adjusting the schedule as needed to ensure specific goals are met such as the number of businesses served, total number of consulting hours provided, seminars offered and number of attendees served.
- Participates in regional and state initiatives of the North Carolina Community College System (NCCCS) Small Business Center Network (SBNC).
- Keeps records and submits timely reports as required by the college, the State Director, and SBNC.
- Maintains a relevant, efficient resource and information center, collects and accurately reports client data.
- Counsels clients and makes appropriate referrals.
- Establishes and maintains Advisory Committee in keeping with the college’s practices and requirements.
- Contributes to the overall success of the SBC.
- Attends local community events related to Small Business and all college events related to the department.
- Performs other duties assigned by the Associate Dean, Continuing and Workforce Development; Dean, Instruction; and the President.