Closes: Friday, October 7, 2022
Target Start Date
Expected Work Hours
Bachelors degree in Entrepreneurship, Business Administration, Accounting, Finance or five or more years of successful business experience in an ownership or executive management capacity. Applicant must disclose if they been a principle officer or owner for any business which filed bankruptcy within the past 7 years.
Master’s Degree in Business Administration, Accounting, Finance or Law or Advanced Degree in Entrepreneurship.
The Director of the Small Business Center participates in the supervision, design, planning, engineering, organization, operation and continuous evaluation of the Center. The position’s focus is on providing counseling, education, referral and training to prospective and existing small business owners which leads to job creation and retention. This position reports directly to the Dean of Business & Industry Solutions with oversight from the SBC State Director. This position will be located at the VGCC South Campus in Creedmoor, with small business development responsibilities across the entire VGCC four-county service area.
The following listing of essential job duties indicates the general nature and level of work required in this job. This is not designed to be a comprehensive listing of all the activities, duties, or responsibilities that may be required in this job. Individuals assigned to this job may be asked to perform other duties as required. To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential duties and responsibilities of the job.
- Identifies needed small business courses, related occupational extension courses, plans course content and schedules to meet community business needs.
- Takes initiative in starting new courses. (In-person, online and hybrid offerings)
- Maintains close contact with the small business community in the four-county service area
- Counsels with startup and existing small business owners across the four county service area
- Encourages the exchange of ideas and open communication.
- Maintains up-to-date resource center
- Identifies small business community needs and initiates plans and/or activities to meet the needs.
- Submits accurate records and reports on Small Business Center activities and accomplishments.
- Administers the Small Business Center budget
- Participates in meetings with college personnel and shares information.
- Recruits well qualified contracted instructors and orients them to the operational processes of small business courses.
- Provides monitoring and guidance of part-time instructors.
- Evaluates courses and activities to maintain a high level of quality and to keep content up-to-date.
- Supervise any small business center administrative support staff and oversee guest small business counselors
- Completes Small Business Center Network’s required annual report
- Serves as a liaison with the Chamber’s, Economic Development Commission’s and other community organizations to assist small businesses in the four county service area.
- Takes initiative in working with the four county Chambers of Commerce.
- This position is assigned to the VGCC South Campus in Creedmoor, NC; although, travel to other counties in the college’s service area is expected. Consistent with VGCC’s Teleworking Policy, this position is eligible for up to two (2) days per week of telework after the first six (6) months of employment.
- Assists the Dean of Business & Industry Solutions with Entrepreneurship activities and events and Entrepreneurship course development.
- Assumes other duties as assigned by the Dean of Business & Industry Solutions and the SBC State Director.
- Light work that includes moving objects up to 30 pounds.
- Sedentary work that primarily involves sitting/standing.
How to Apply
Job Post Contact