Director of Small Business Center
Closes: Monday, April 24, 2023
Target Start Date
Expected Work Hours
Education: BA, BS or equivalent.
- Minimum of 3-5 years of progressive leadership experience in a business-related setting (Ex. Direct supervision, extensive project management or cross functional team leadership) is required.
- Three or more years of experience in a business consulting, counseling, or coaching role is preferred.
- Shall not have been in a principle office or owner for any business having filed bankruptcy within the past 7 years
Education: MBA or MS preferred
- Must complete SBC director credentialing program within three years of hire and maintain professional competency with ongoing training as required.
- Spanish speaking preferred
Manages the Small Business Center (SBC), whose objectives as a member of the NC Small Business Center Network is to increase the success rate and the number of viable small businesses in North Carolina by providing high quality, readily accessible assistance (i.e., provider of education, training, counseling, information, and referral) to prospective and existing small business owners and their employees. The Director of the Small Business Center This position collaborates with external partners and College Staff to coordinate activities that support and promote entrepreneurship and economic development in the College’s service area. The is responsible for the organization, planning, implementation and supervision of small business program services and resources. Provides counseling, education and training to small business owners and prospective entrepreneurs. The Director promotes and markets the Small Business Center, administers an intensive schedule of entrepreneurial seminar programming, maintains an accessible resource library for client use, and provides technical business training in a confidential and professional manner.
Examples of Duties:
ESSENTIAL FUNCTIONS AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
- Identifies the needs of new and existing businesses; customize and design training opportunities supporting growth and economic development in the community by working with small business owners and the community, identifying training needs, desired outcomes, and instructional funding sources.
- Schedule classes, facilitate advertising, and negotiate contracts.
- Design and implement course schedule based on business demands while keeping up to date on industry trends and the latest technology developments.
- Supervises Small Business Center operations, guest counseling, program development/delivery/implementation, collection of statistical data, etc.
- Recruit clients and attendees for seminars through the latest marketing channels.
- Recruit and hire quality instructors for Small Business Center education programs and orient them to the college operation of Small Business Center and within the budget.
- Recruits Small Business Center clients; develops innovative programming that will provide entrepreneurs with access to knowledge, networks, and capital.
- Recruits volunteers; oversees development of volunteer programs, mentoring opportunities, etc.
- Participate in activities for the Small Business Center network, and maintains effective partnerships with local, state, federal and education agencies, and other service providers.
- Participate in meetings with college personnel and with business community and shares information on activities and initiates business project and ideas.
- Evaluate instructors through classroom audits and attendee evaluations.
- Provide coaching for instructors based on observations and attendee feedback.
- Designate appropriate client resources and determine appropriate materials for use in all courses and seminars.
- Markets Small Business Center programs to internal and external communities by delivering presentations, literature, schedules, and brochures to the business community and facilitating press releases.
- Maintain a resource and information center for the small business community.
- Administer and maintain social networking sites to ensure proper use and delivery.
- Prepare and submit required reports detailing activity for all funding sources.
- Ensure compliance with state requirements.
- Evaluates activities annually, and submit accurate records and reports on Small Business Center performance
- Manage facilities and recommend equipment, furnishing and software improvements.
- Provide direction, leadership, and guidance to assigned employees.
- Analyze and solve work problems or assist employees in solving problems.
- Conduct annual performance review of Small Business Center.
- Provide leadership and coordinate special events in support of small business.
- Oversees, maintain and administer the Small Business Center operational budget and submit travel requests and purchase requisitions for supplies and equipment as needed.
- Possess knowledge of all work responsibilities involved in assigned area.
- Collaborate with other organizations for joint ventured seminars & trainings.
- Deliver instruction in seminars related to personal expertise.
- Provide quality instruction to attendees in an effective manner when dictated by market demand.
- Maintain appropriate attendance records and completion criteria.
- Comply with reporting requirements.
- Assist in providing professional one-on-one counseling and referral services to small business community.
- Maintain and record each client session notes in SBCN program monthly.
- Assist clients with start-up guidance, business planning, loan package development, projections, market research, marketing plan, etc.
- Market program services to the public.
Public, Staff, & College Relations:
- Interact with students, the public, the community, and co-workers in a cooperative, courteous, and professional manner on the phone and in person.
- Provide information or referral for all inquiries from students and the public.
- Coordinate travel, meeting, and seminar schedule with department.
- Participate in community activities/programs/networking events and work with local and state agencies that further the economic development of the service area and promote the mission of Bladen Community College and Small Business Center Network.
- Maintain rapport with the business community, professional organizations, and trade associations. Encourages exchange of ideas and open communication and stay knowledgeable of their training needs.
- Serve as liaison with Chamber of Commerce and other community organizations to assist small businesses in the community.
- Developing new partnerships and strengthening existing ones to provide programming relevant and useful to our service area.
- Educating faculty, staff, and students about the SBC and its relevance to the community.
- Maintain budget of actual expenditures against grants.
- Prepare and submit required annual reports of activity.
- Maintain Client Management System.
- Maintain files and records on counseling clients and general Small Business Center matters.
- Respond to client's inquiries by phone, email, or in person.
- Compose and word process letters, memos, flyers, social media pages, webinars, etc.
Additional Duties and Responsibilities
- Serve on committees and teams as assigned.
- Comply with the College's policies and procedures.
- Demonstrated entrepreneurial skills in respect to thinking outside the box, being proactive about seeking more efficient and effective ways to accomplish tasks and being creative.
- Effective oral and written communication skills, presentation skills, and superior interpersonal and team-oriented skills.
- Proficient in all Microsoft Office applications particularly PowerPoint and Excel as well as social media tools such as Facebook, Instagram, and Constant Contact.
- Must be customer focused and have a "people person'' attitude. In addition, must demonstrated ability and commitment to maintain complete confidentiality
- Highly motivated, a self-starter, client focused and organized.
- Demonstrate strategic thinking and strategic planning
- Effective verbal and written communication skills, presentation skills, and superior interpersonal and team-oriented skills.
How to Apply
Please go to our website to see the position announcements and apply online.
Job Post Contact
Tiina Mundy, Director of Human Resources
Bladen Community College
PO Box 266, Dublin, NC 28332
Phone - 910.879.5556
Fax - 910.862.2801