Closes: Sunday, January 8, 2023
Target Start Date
Expected Work Hours
Bachelor’s degree with three to five years related experience; or equivalent combination of education and experience
Master’s degree is preferred.
Ability to speak Spanish is preferred
The Director of Student Success and Engagement will be responsible for planning, coordinating and improving the experience for students at the institution via the Student Success and Engagement Center and advising/registration initiatives. This individual will create, plan, develop, assess, initiate, assist and oversee advising and retention activities.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities include the following. Other duties may be assigned.
- Develops and implements an academic advising system that meets the needs of traditional college students.
- Management of staff members, scheduling of staff hours, and training.
- Provides professional development opportunities in advising for staff members.
- Knows and understands the barriers facing students in the Bladen County and surrounding areas and able to support students in a positive manner.
- Ensures advising staff are consistently trained on best practices in advising, the use of Self Service, and other technology as needed
- Knowledgeable of all academic programs, course deliveries, program changes, admissions process, RDS, and financial aid.
- Director must work collaboratively with various departments within the campus community.
- Develops and implements a strategic retention plan using Aviso and other tools to ensure the college meets retention goals. Will serve as the lead contact for Aviso Retention software.
- Provides information to new and returning students on career exploration counseling. Utilizes www.ncccareers.org to aid students in career exploration activities.
- Schedule visits with four-year colleges and universities to allow recruiters and admissions officers to meet with prospective students. Schedule meeting sessions with students and college representatives. Create recruiting schedules for visitors and make available to students, faculty, and staff in a timely manner
- Assists the Director of Student Resources with new student orientation activities and Welcome Week
- Reviews annual goals and objectives with the Director of Institutional Effectiveness. Conducts semiannual review of all set goals and objectives to determine progress toward obtaining set goals.
- Fosters an environment of customer service to all students, staff, and faculty.
- Maintains and updates the BCC Student Success and Engagement Center information on the college’s website.
- Maintains memberships in professional organizations such as National Academic Advising Association and NC Community College Advising Association and others as needed
- Willingness to attend meetings/seminars on a regular basis (some travel required)
- Ability to work some nights and a flexible schedule
- Serve on committees as assigned
- Other duties as assigned
- Directly supervises personnel in the Student Success and Engagement Center.
- Interviews and trains new staff in the department.
- Plans, assigns, directs, and oversees the daily work and workflow of the department.
- Provides constructive and timely performance evaluations.
- Addresses complaints and resolves issues.