Director, TRIO Upward Bound Programs
Lee Main Campus, Sanford, NC
Closes: Thursday, February 9, 2023
Target Start Date
Expected Work Hours
- Master's degree required in Education, Education Administration, Educational Leadership, Higher Education, Counseling, Social Work, or related field, AND
- Four years of professional experience in an educational setting including
- Two years of administrative or leadership experience in an educational setting;
- Experience planning programs, services, and activities;
- Experience providing advising or counseling to students in preparation for college entrance;
- Experience working with low-income or first generation students in an educational setting; and
- Experience accurately maintaining required documentation.
- Experience and skills with the creation of engaging, informative, and interactive presentations to various audiences (high school students, parents, family members, college employees);
- Knowledge of best practices for promoting academic achievement and college access;
- Knowledge of high school education requirements, the college admissions process, and financial aid and scholarship opportunities;
- Ability to effectively train and supervise program staff, and provide effective leadership for programs and staff;
- Ability to manage project budgets;
- Ability to foster and maintain positive and collaborative relationships with internal and external partners;
- Knowledge of program evaluation;
- Ability to analyze data and prepare reports;
- Ability to effectively present information orally and in writing to administrators, faculty, students, and the community;
- Strong interpersonal and communication skills;
- Strong organizational skills;
- Ability to utilize technology effectively; and
- Understanding and respect for the diverse backgrounds of students, staff, and college community.
- Experience working in higher education;
- Experience with TRiO or other federally-funded programs, including knowledge of services, objectives, regulations, and reporting procedures;
- Experience hiring and supervising staff;
- Experience managing budgets;
- Experience with Blumen, Datatel, or other data management systems;
- Experience conducting program evaluation;
- Experience writing grants or fundraising;
- Knowledge of STEM fields and careers;
- Personal experience overcoming academic, cultural, financial, or other obstacles similar to those faced by low-income or first-generation students or students with disabilities participating in the Upward Bound program.
The Upward Bound Director provides leadership and administrative oversight for three Upward Bound TRiO programs serving Harnett and Lee Counties.
The Upward Bound (UB) program provides fundamental support to participants in their preparation for college entrance. The goal of Upward Bound is to increase the rate at which participants complete secondary education and enroll in and graduate from institutions of postsecondary education.
The Upward Bound Math and Science (UBMS) program is designed to strengthen the math and science skills of participating students. The goal of the program is to help students recognize and develop their potential to excel in math and science and to encourage them to pursue postsecondary degrees in math and science, and ultimately careers in the math and science profession.
Together, the Upward Bound programs at Central Carolina Community College serve over 180 low-income and first-generation students from Harnett and Lee Counties in grades 9 through 12 through year-round programming.
The Director will hire, develop, and supervise staff, while serving as a model through active, hands-on program participation, including planning, accompanying, and supervising students during Saturday Sessions, test-prep sessions, on college visits and cultural enrichment trips, including overnight and out-of-state/in-state trips; staying current on best practices in the field through attendance at meetings, conferences and seminars (state, local and national, including overnight stays) related to programs mission and goals (up to approximately 20 days annually).
Routine travel across the three county service area is required to engage with high school staff and students, and college staff and faculty, weekly. Travel outside the service area to attend to professional development and TRiO events is required via buses, vans, automobile and/or commercial airlines.
Diversity Policy: Central Carolina Community College believes the college experience is greatly enriched through diversity; therefore, the college encourages diversity of thought within the student body and staff. Furthermore, the college seeks to promote awareness of diversity and the respect for all individuals, and the college pledges to adhere to this mission in its relationship with the community.
- Develop and implement a comprehensive Upward Bound program designed to support the academic achievement and college enrollment of participating students, including Saturday and after-school activities during the academic year and 6-week programs during the summer;
- Hire, train, supervise, and evaluate all full-time and part-time staff;
- Lead staff development through training and other professional development opportunities;
- Work collaboratively with Harnett and Lee County School Districts' personnel to effectively implement the Upward Bound program;
- Establish and maintain internal partnerships with CCCC's Directors of Secondary Partnerships, Admissions, and Financial Aid, faculty, and other members of the academic community to promote the academic achievement and college enrollment of participating students;
- Serve as program liaison to internal and external constituencies, including CCCC faculty, staff, and administrators, Harnett County Schools, Lee County Schools, and the higher education community;
- Ensure that activities and services are provided according to the legislation and regulations of the U.S. Department of Education and will lead to meeting program objectives;
- Manage program budgets and authorize the commitment or expenditure of all program funds in accordance with the regulations of the U.S. Department of Education and the State of North Carolina and the policies of Central Carolina Community College;
- Maintain all fiscal records and communicate as needed with the Controller and the Business Office;
- Collaborate with Marketing department to develop public relations materials and media information for distribution;
- Develop and distribute application materials to students and parents, oversee recruitment, and lead the participant selection process;
- Provide academic, personal, college, and career advising to participants;
- Maintain accurate records of students' eligibility, participation, and academic progress;
- Develop and administer tracking systems for all program participants (current and alumni);
- Develop and implement both formative and summative evaluation of program services and objectives using both quantitative and qualitative data to ensure student success and achievement of project objectives;
- Prepare and submit monthly reports on program services, participation, outcomes, and budget updates to the Executive Director;
- Participate in institutional, state, regional, and national higher education and TRIO organizations, conferences, and trainings;
- Submit the U.S. Department of Education's Annual Performance Reports for three (3) Upward Bound programs in collaboration with Executive Director and with the support of program staff;
- Serve on College committees as assigned.
- Complete the annual five-hour staff development.
- Encourage and support College activities, policies, procedures, and philosophies.
- Perform other duties as assigned
- Other duties as assigned.
- Recognizing and respecting the variety of experiences and contributions represented by all of our students, employees, and community, the Director of Trio Upward Bounds Program will encourage a learning environment where everyone is supported and valued for their unique perspectives and experiences and will foster and promote the participation of all members of our diverse communities.
Job Post Contact
Central Carolina Community College Human Resources
1105 Kelly Drive, Sanford, NC 27540