Director, Veterans Upward Bound
Lee Main Campus, Sanford, NC
Closes: Thursday, February 9, 2023
Target Start Date
Expected Work Hours
Required educational background:
- Master’s degree in Education, Education Administration, Educational Leadership, Higher Education, Counseling, Social Work, or related field, OR
- Bachelor’s degree with extensive related work experience.
Required kind and number years of work experience:
- Two years of administrative or leadership experience in an educational setting;
- Experience planning programs, services, activities, or events;
- Experience providing academic advising, instruction, tutoring, career counseling, personal counseling, or financial aid literacy education to students at a collegiate level;
- Experience working with low-income or first generation students, and/or veterans;
- Experience fostering and maintaining positive and collaborative relationships with internal and external partners;
- Experience accurately maintaining required documentation.
- Or equivalent combination of education and experience may be considered.
Required knowledge, skills and abilities:
- Ability to understand grant requirements and maintain compliance to those requirements.
- Knowledge of best practices for promoting academic growth and postsecondary enrollment among adult or veteran students;
- Knowledge of college admissions procedures and financial aid and scholarship opportunities;
- Familiarity with GI Bill benefits and other veteran benefits;
- Familiarity with resources for veterans and military affiliated students.
- Ability to effectively train and supervise program staff and provide effective leadership;
- Strong organizational skills;
- Ability to manage project budget;
- Knowledge of program evaluation;
- Strong interpersonal and communication skills;
- Ability to utilize technology effectively;
- Ability to analyze data and prepare reports;
- Ability to effectively present information orally and in writing to administrators, faculty, students, and the community;
- Understanding and respect for the diverse backgrounds of students, staff, and college community.
- Experience directly serving veterans and knowledge of the strengths and challenges of veteran students;
- Experience working in higher education, specially within a community college;
- Knowledge of and experience with TRiO or VUB services, objectives, and regulations;
- Experience hiring and supervising staff;
- Experience managing budgets;
- Experience conducting program evaluation;
- Experience coordinating and supervising instruction;
- Career counseling experience;
- Experience with Blumen, Datatel, or other data management systems;
- Experience writing grants or fundraising;
- Personal experience overcoming academic, cultural, financial, or other obstacles similar to those faced by low-income, first-generation and/or veteran students;
- Prior military service.
At Central Carolina Community College, we create transformative lifelong learning opportunities! We expect all employees to find ways to remove barriers to student success and provide all students a pathway to achievable dreams. Our employees are charged to recognize the challenges we face and to respond to them with empathy, understanding, and a willingness to help.
The Director of Veterans Upward Bound provides leadership and administrative oversight for the program, staff, and 125 participants. Additionally, as the Military Affiliated Resource Center Director this position manages all activities within the center.
Reimbursable travel to TRiO training opportunities, both in-state and out-of-state required (up to four times a year).
Diversity Policy: Central Carolina Community College believes the college experience is greatly enriched through diversity; therefore, the college encourages diversity of thought within the student body and staff. Furthermore, the college seeks to promote awareness of diversity and the respect for all individuals, and the college pledges to adhere to this mission in its relationship with the community.
- Manages, coordinates and organizes activities, programs and services for the military affiliated resource center (MARC) and events to support CCCC military-affiliated students such as Veteran's Day, Sept 11th, etc.
- Serves as a visible resource and advocate for all military affiliated groups;
- Recommends goals and objectives; assists in the development of and implementation of policies and procedures supporting military-affiliated students at CCCC;
- Collaborates with outside agencies in support of CCCC military-affiliated students;
- Manages budget, materials/resources, and marketing/outreach for military affiliated initiatives
- Club Advisor for the CCCC Chapter of Student Veterans of America
- Serves on the Veteran/Military-Affiliated Task Force as chair
- Provides Green Zone training for CCCC faculty and staff in collaboration with other CCCC personnel
- Develop and implement comprehensive program procedures and services designed to ensure the participation of 125 veterans in the program each year and to promote academic development and postsecondary enrollment of participating students;
- Establish and maintain internal and external partnerships with CCCC, Johnston CC, and Wake Technical CC personnel, as well as with local community partners, to recruit new veterans to the program and ensure the success of participating veterans;
- Serve as program liaison to faculty, staff, and administrators of the college and the local community;
- Lead staff development through training and other professional development opportunities;
- Hire, train, supervise, and evaluate all full-time and part-time staff;
- Develop informational materials about the VUB program in collaboration with the Marketing Department, and communicate project services and objectives to college community and local veteran-serving agencies;
- Oversee recruitment and make final decisions on applicants' admission to the program;
- Supervise staff efforts to ensure that activities and services are provided according to the legislation and regulations of the U.S. Department of Education and will lead to meeting program objectives;
- Coordinate pre- and post-testing for all Veterans Upward Bound participants and ensure that the program meets its objective related to this service;
- Conduct needs assessments for all new Veterans Upward Bound participants in collaboration with other program staff;
- Identify academic needs of Veterans Upward Bound participants based on pre-tests and coordinate appropriate interventions in collaboration with other program staff through services such as academic instruction or tutoring;
- Provide personal, career, financial, and academic guidance to veteran participants;
- Develop and administer tracking systems for all program participants (current and alumni);
- Maintain accurate records of participants’ eligibility, participation, and academic progress;
- Authorize the commitment and expenditure of all program funds in accordance with the regulations of the U.S. Department of Education and the State of North Carolina and the policies of Central Carolina Community College;
- Maintain all fiscal records and communicate as needed with the Controller and the Business Office;
- Prepare and submit monthly reports on program services, outcomes, and budget updates to the Dean of College Access Services;
- Develop and implement both formative and summative evaluation of program services and objectives using both quantitative and qualitative data to ensure student success and achievement of project objectives;
- Develop outcomes, conduct annual satisfaction surveys and exit surveys, assess results, and submit annual report in Central Carolina Community College’s Compliance Assist software;
- Prepare and submit the U.S. Department of Education’s Annual Performance Report for VUB in collaboration with Dean of College Access Services and with the support of VUB staff;
- Participate in institutional, state, regional, and national higher education and TRIO organizations, conferences, and trainings;
- Other duties as assigned.
- Recognizing and respecting the variety of experiences and contributions represented by all of our students, employees, and community, the Director, Veterans Upward Boundwill encourage a learning environment where everyone is supported and valued for their unique perspectives and experiences and will foster and promote the participation of all members of our diverse communities.
Job Post Contact
Central Carolina Community College Human Resources
1105 Kelly Drive, Sanford, NC 27540