Asheville-Buncombe Technical Community College
Asheville, North Carolina
Closes: Tuesday, June 22, 2021
Target Start Date
Expected Work Hours
Minimum Requirements (Applicant must meet all of the minimum requirements)
1. Must have a minimum of a High school diploma or equivalent;
2. Must have experience working in emergency communications;
3. Must have experience working with Microsoft Office;
4. Must be at least 18 years of age;
1. One year of full-time or equivalent experience with an NC law enforcement agency;
2. DCI Certification;
3. AAS Degree;
4. North Carolina Law Enforcement Telecommunicator Certificate;
5. Notary Public;
6. Proficiency in a foreign language such as Spanish, an East Slavic language, and/or American Sign Language;
Job Description Summary
The police dispatcher provides support to A-B Tech Police Officers in their efforts to maintain a safe and secure environment. The primary function is to receive emergency and non-emergency calls, quickly determine what services are needed, and direct the appropriate number of police units to the scene. Dispatchers work closely with Emergency Services, College Administration, and the public. These services will meet the highest level of approval and the candidate will constantly strive to anticipate the needs of the Community College.
1. Maintains complete confidentiality with regard to all campus information no matter the source, content, or how the information is acquired.
2. Utilizes technology such as computers, radio systems, telephones, and other equipment for campus police.
3. Monitors surveillance cameras and dispatches police officers accordingly.
4. Maintains a central file for vehicle parking registrations and violations for staff and students and posts ticket charges to student accounts.
5. Maintains an updated list of campus extensions, campus personnel, campus activities, and emergency procedures.
6. Receives and responds to emergency and non-emergency calls, processes and evaluates information received, prioritizes calls and dispatches required units.
7. Monitors and coordinates police unit activity and assignments via police radio frequencies.
8. Maintains status and locations of police personnel.
9. Creates and maintains automated logs of public safety communications activity in CAD & RMS.
10. Accesses and enters sensitive data in local, state, and national databases as necessary for investigative purposes.
11. Keeps informed of departmental regulations, policies, and procedures.
12. Contributes to the College Vision, Mission, Values, and Welcoming College statement.
13. Supports workforce diversity in all its aspects.
14. Performs other job-related duties as assigned