Mayland Community College has three campus locations in Mitchell, Avery, and Yancey counties. We are located in the beautiful Blue Ridge Mountains of Western NC. This position will operate from the Main Campus in Spruce Pine, NC.
Closes: Monday, December 10, 2018
Target Start Date
Expected Work Hours
Bachelor's Degree in Education, Human Services, or related field
Experience in teaching, admissions, advising, or counseling
Master's Degree in Education, Counseling, or related field
Serves to support the mission of the college by actively recruiting, admitting, advising, and offering on-going support to students enrolled in high school. We strive to offer an individualized, inclusive, student-centered approach to Student Services through continued support and connecting students with a variety of support services to ensure academic success. The High School Student Success Advisor will assist students with the transition from high school to post-secondary study at MCC.
- Collaborate with Mayland Early College High School (MECHS) and Mayland Community College to ensure coordination of high school and college schedules that allow access to required coursework.
- Collaborate with Principal and Counselor on recruitment of new students.
- Mail and collect MCC applications for accepted students.
- Assist with MECHS New Student Orientation.
- Assist in the Coordination of services for MECHS students with IEP's and 504's with MCC Counseling and Disability Services Department.
- Communicate with MCC Faculty about MECHS calendar changes, such as inclement weather closings, standardized testing date, etc. to ensure that students are supported as much as possible when they cannot attend class.
- Work closely with MECHS and MCC faculty and staff to meet students' needs and monitor students' progress.
- Ensure compliance and confidentiality with all policies and procedures of MCC, NC Community College System, and applicable State and Federal agencies.
- Coordinate the use of college facilities for MECHS events.
- Participate in and serve as chaperone on field trips, school dances, and MHECHS events.
- Serve as secretary for the MECHS Governing Board.
- Coordinate with Director of Institutional Effectiveness and Grant Writer on tracking and grants.
- Coordinate with Counselor on Career Readiness activities, including but not limited to, setting up shadowing opportunities with community employers.
- Report enrollment data, end of semester grades, and hours of credit back to high schools for high school transcripts.
- Maintain, distribute, and collect textbook inventory.
- Advise and register MECHS students for college courses.
- Determine placement for MECHS students, including scheduling and administering placement test when needed.
- Maintain and update MECHS students' individual Five Year Plan.
- Identify students from Advising Caseload who need to be monitored and supported more closely. These students will be added to an At-Risk Caseload.·
- Provide a series of student contacts including, but not limited to, a first week contact, a second week contact, a four week contact, and an eight (mid-term contact).
- Respond to Early Alerts submitted by Faculty and provide an initial intervention. These students will be added to the At-Risk Caseload and follow up will continue to check for follow through on interventions and to avoid additional academic issues.
- Counsel students who are dropping classes or changing majors.
- Participate in student engagement events that aid in retention.
- Coordinate student activities in collaboration with the Dean of Students, including presenting new ideas for events and educational programing.
- Serve as Advisor for National Society of Leadership & Success.
- Participate in planning of registration, graduation, and enrollment management efforts.
- Provide support during the curriculum commencement ceremony including assisting with set up and execution of the event.
- Maintain professional and technical knowledge through reading professional publications and attending workshops and conferences as appropriate.
- Provide input and present ideas for marketing efforts and publications, which may include creating, designing, proofing, and printing materials.
- Maintain cross-training with other Student Success Advisor and other Student Services staff, including providing coverage at the Student Services window when the Administrative Assistant is absent.
- Serve on various college and high school committees.
How to Apply
- Visit www.mayland.edu;
- From the red Quick Links bar choose Employment Opportunities and complete the online application.
- Contact HR at 828-766-1272 if you need assistance or have questions.
- MCC is an Equal Employment Opportunity Employer.
Job Post Contact
Mayland Community College