Closes: Thursday, April 1, 2021
Target Start Date
Expected Work Hours
Associate in Applied Science in Information Technology or related field; minimum three years work experience with learning management systems; and minimum three years work experience with the delivery of technical training and support
- Learning Management System administration experience.
-Moodle administration experience.
- Excellent organizational, oral, and written communication skills and problem-solving skills.
- Ability to manage multiple simultaneous projects and tasks effectively and efficiently with minimum direct supervision.
- Ability to effectively communicate technical information and guidance to faculty, staff, and students who may have varying level of technical competence.
- Ability to interact with students and faculty/staff in a helpful, patient, and professional manner to solve problems.
-Work cooperatively with appropriate personnel in Technology Support Services to support platforms to support faculty and students.
-Provide updates to the Distance Learning website.
- Experience with Unix/Linux operating systems and SQL (Structured Query Language) database knowledge.
- Proficient in Microsoft Office (Word, Excel, Access, and PowerPoint).
- Thrive in a dynamic, team-oriented environment.
- Some lifting, carrying, pushing and/or pulling objects and materials of light weight (5-10 pounds)
Bachelor of Science in Information Technology or related field; minimum five years work experience with learning management systems; information technology work experience in higher education
- Competency with the administration of Moodle
- Competency with the delivery of technical training and support
- Higher education experience with learning management systems
- Familiarity with scripting languages
The Educational Technology Specialist will support online instruction and the Distance Learning department in the provision of Distance Learning services, support, and training. Serves as the technical lead for the administration of the learning management system. Provides technical support to credit and non-credit faculty and students using the institution’s learning management system [LMS] and assists with the creation and delivery of training resources. Participates in the research, evaluation, and implementation of various technologies that support the enhancement and advancement of the online learning experience.
Currently, RCC’s learning management system is Moodle.
- Provide technical administrative oversight of learning management system to include user accounts verification, course creation, and coordination of maintenance updates
- Provide client-centered technical support for Moodle to students, faculty, and staff.
- Verify the accuracy of data in Moodle to include appropriate enrollment / disenrollment of students in appropriate classes, user account information changes, and identity verification photo maintenance
- Train students on Moodle via online orientation and tutorials, face-to-face orientations, and other effective means.
- Conduct occasional formal training workshops for instructors on Moodle using a variety of training methods including workshops, one-on-one, and demonstrations/presentation, and tutorials.
- Coordinate and/or facilitate video conferencing for sending and receiving Distance Learning courses over the NC Information Highway (ITV).
- Provide information regarding DL processes and procedures using a variety of means including website, e-mail, and hard-copy for the dispersal of information critical to DL clients (students, instructors, advisors, etc.)
- Create, maintain, and deliver a variety of ad hoc LMS status reports in order to diagnose, triage, and coordinate support needs
- Serve as the liaison between the LMS hosting provider and the institution to include facilitating the submission of support tickets, communicating upgrade information to faculty and staff, and participating in sandbox testing and evaluation
- Conduct research and evaluation of proposed LMS patches, plug-ins and add-ons to identify necessary upgrades to the learning management system and to identify any potential risks associated with implementation
- Monitor inquiries from prospective students and students enrolled in distance learning programs/courses to ensure that these students understand the technology and equipment necessary to succeed.
- Create Standard Operating Procedure documentation for technology tasks.