Closes: Wednesday, July 17, 2019
Target Start Date
Expected Work Hours
Master’s Degree in education, counseling, higher education or related area
Experience with academic and career advising; knowledge of the college transfer process and financial aid; strong listening, collaboration, problem solving and negotiation skills
The Educational Advisor is a 10-month, full-time position in SAGE, a federally funded Student Support Services TRIO program that provides academic support services to first-generation, low-income students and students with disabilities. The Educational Advisor’s primary responsibilities are to oversees the tutoring program and provide academic, career, financial and college transfer advising to SAGE students. The Advisor reports to the Director of Student Support Services (SAGE). The position requires occasional nights and weekends.
College Transfer Advising:
• Advise college transfer students about all aspects of the college transfer process including career exploration, selecting a college major, comparing prospective universities, and applying for admissions and financial aid.
• Provide academic advising and assistance in course selection, with specific attention to designing course schedules and transfer plans that include equivalent courses to fulfill the student’s WCC degree requirements, as well as necessary prerequisite and major courses at the university.
• Facilitate and coordinate student trips to 4-year colleges; correspond with admissions and faculty at 4-year schools.
• Assist in coordinating and overseeing the SSS (SAGE) tutoring program and study groups, including recruiting, interviewing, hiring, training and supervising professional and peer tutors; seek referrals and recommendations from faculty
• Provide career advising
• Assist students with FAFSA and scholarship applications
• Provide advising aimed at improving the financial literacy of students
• Assist with enrollment, needs assessment, and tracking of students in Student Support Services (SAGE).
• Prepare biannual planner which serves to inform all SAGE students of important program and WCC events and activities. Administer the SAGEsocial media site.
• Serve on the WCC Financial Aid/Scholarship committee.
• Other related duties, training, and development as required by supervisor.
How to Apply
Job Post Contact